Pod Your Reef

Bristleworms..how big is too big?

SoS

I've got a monster in my 29 gal. living in a 7 pound LR. He's close to half an inch thick and 7 to 8 inches long. Has anyone had any reports of them destroying anything other than the rock?

I have a 20H and have at least two that are about the size that you are describing (either that or one realllllly big guy who can stretch to be in two rocks at once) and several littel ones I am concerned about then as well. what does any one suggest as of to what I hould do about those.

Like you SoS I am a bit leary of mt monster bristle worms.

Here is my experience with bristle worms:

If it has very fine, thin, white bristles and a pinkish/greyish body, its probably fine. Even if you remove it, you will have more that eventually grow big anyway.

If it is olive green/brown and shiny and hard-looking like a centipede with "spikes" rather than bristles, then it is probably dangerous to your fish or who-knows-what-else (this is just my opinion). This kind has 3 antenae/feeler things coming out of its face.

This comes from my own experience as well as a couple of other reefers on this board from awhile back.

I have one that is hard adn shiny like a centipede adn really big. only slightly thinner than a pencil. I also have the kind with the white bristles that you have described on;y they are rather orangish.

• 2 weeks later...

I would lose the centipede-looking one. One ate one of my damsels in the night and antoher person said one had grabbed hold of his clownfish while it was still alive.

Archived