Cultivated Reef

how long have you left your tank unnatended

SLOreefer

Hey guys... im wondering how long is the longest you ahev all left your tanks unnatended without disaster happening. im leaving my tank for about a month right now and i am somewhat worried about it. i set up an auto-topoff and stuff but i am still worried something will go wrong. i know everyone is gnna say im crazy but ohwell....im a risk taker and didnt feel like breaking down and moving the tank again to bring home with me for the holidays. ive done that too many times already.

I have left my system 12 completely untended for 7 full days. No problems, but I keep a fairly tough system containing only soft corals, a tight hood and only 1 damsel. Topped off and fed when I came home.

ONE DAY!....lol Any longer than that and a friend, cousin, neighbor or "local bum on the street corner" is asked/hired to look in on things. (well we have dogs, cats and guinea pigs too so um, a sitter is always in order...lol)

Another person leaving a tank for a month? Wow, I'll be anxiously awaiting the reports mid-Jan on how everything faired.. You really can't take it home with you? There really is NO ONE to look in on it? Well all I gotta say is good luck... no whining when you get back to it, hehe

i left mine for 5 days but i had some one do top offs for me. that reminds me, i gotta get to makeing that auto top off system.........

hey. i left a 10 gallon tank for a month. might i suggest a nice waterchange before you leave, and if its near any windows, move it. my only problem was hair algae *raping* my gsp.

printerdown01

I'm afraid to say... for fear of banishment... 1.5 to almost 2 weeks, my mom added fish food. But that was it! This is my 12 gallon eclipse. Besides algae on the glass (from over feeding :-/ thanks mom) there were NO problems. I slowly brought the salinity back to normal. BTW, I knew that I was going to be gone for a week so I dropped it to 1.023 over the period of a week before I left. Nothing seemed to freak out. BTW I DON'T recommend this to anyone... and the first thing I did when I walked though the door was run to my tank! Also the tank has gone considerable periods of time w/o water changes. I watched this very closely however... I still did not have any problem when I decided it was long enough, and did the change. I am not irresponsible (besides the 1.5 week leave) I have never done anything to put my tank in jeopardy... in fact I keep incredibly detailed reefing logs... -just wanted to clear that up, before rumors got started ;).

3 days and no Problems.

It depends on your evaporation rate. With my auto feeder i could leave my 29Gal reef for a week or two.

The 10 gal I'd say 5 days tops before I need to top-off

8 days. Aunt given severe instructions to add only water, and only then from a specific bucket I had set beside the tank. Tank looked *great* when I got back, great xenia growth and clowns happy to see me.

3 Months 17 days. All that was done was feeding, dosing and auto topoffs. I had one MIA upon return. Not a single person touched my reef. except to refill the auto flake feeder and the B-Ionic resivours.

3 weeks. Large freshwater makeup tank. All that was done was feeding by my bro. Nothing that an auto feeder couldn't have done. No losses....just a little algae to clean.

Cameron

"Leave my precious? Who's watching my precious? Precious! " :P

five days. total tank crash. water level dropped by about 15% with a corresponding salinity spike and lost half the tank's inhabitants. :*(

oh, was this supposed to be a reassuring thread? X) oops! :blush:

try the seal method over the next couple of days. accurately measure the rate of water loss. if there's more than your auto topoff can handle in the time frame you'd better think about ziploc'ing your livestock back home or rent a tank at a local lfs.

i leave mine completely unattended for periods of 2-3 days maybe once or twice a month, with no adverse effects other than the occasional smearing of algae. i don't enjoy doing that since i feel i'm neglecting the critters and fish, but i've not had any serious problems with it. i'd be nervous about a month though, and i simply wouldn't do it unless i had an auto-topoff and autofeeders that i felt were rock solid. one thing i like about not seeing my tank for a few days is that it's easy to notice changes when i come back to it. that reminds me, i just spotted a huge aiptasia due for a kalking ;)

10 days on one occasion, 14 days on another. No problems with any livestock. Main problem was dealing with excess phosphate being dumped into the tank from the flake food. That was a major PITA

well i set up an auto topoff with almost 10 gallons of freshwater...im hoping it will be ok. i left it for a week for thanksgiving without the topoff and it did fine. well 5 days actually and just slowly added fresh back in. before i left i did a 2 gallon water change and made sure all pumps were working correctly. ive never used more than about 3 -4 gallons in a month before so the about 9-10 should be more than enough. if not i guess my pump will catch fire and burn my house down. lets hope that doesnt happen.

call me crazy but i think its fun to leave the tank for a few weeks or even days because then u get to see how much ure reef has grown in such a short amount of time

we really dont notice it because welook at it everyday. btw 10 days here too, did a water cahgne before i left and when i got back everything was ok cept my salinity had dropped a .001. there was no topoff even so i guess it worked :) . hth

nishant

how did your salinity drop with evaporation and no auto topoff? that sounds odd to me...ohwell...im glad to see that there hasntbeen too many horror stories. im jsut hoping the 8 gallons or so of makeup water will be enough...i think it should...i dont htink ive ever gone through much mroe than 5-6 gallons a month

Archived