Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoCube Controller

nanocuber

I am in the process of designing a controller for my NanoCube, and I just wanted everyone's opinions. It is a microcontroller based design that will:

1) Control a TEC (Peltier) Heater/Chiller (like the Nanocustoms ICA).

2) Control and monitor fan speeds for up to four fans

3) Control an LED fuge light (On/Off)

4) Control an LED moon light (Following moon cycles)

5) Display the hood and water temperatures

All the information will be displayed on an LCD that I plan on mounting in the hood, and have a few push buttons to be able to set it up (set tank temp, time, etc).

I have a prototype working, that is able to use the TEC (Peltier) as either a chiller or a heater. Now I am thinking it isn't such a great idea because if it somehow gets stuck in the heating mode (i.e. bad temperature sensor) there is nothing to keep the tank from overheating. Where if I only use it as a chiller, at least if it gets stuck on, the heater can keep it from making the tank too cold. I know this probably will never happen, but there is always a chance.

Also, is there anything else I am forgetting? Like something else that I might monitor or control?

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Just for fun, here is the prototype. I am using an IceProbe I borrowed from my Brother-In-Law for the TEC. The final design will be on a PCB that is about 2.5" x 3.8".

Controller_Prototype.JPG

cindyandjosh

Salanity display, Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, wavemaker etc.. That would be awesome but I love the prototype. Sign me up for one. I'll even beta test!

Salanity display, Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, wavemaker etc.. That would be awesome

I agree, but do you know where I could find the probes? Do they even make probes for Nitrites and Nitrates?

I have actually been having a hard enough time finding a waterproof temperature probe like the one on the cheapo Coralife digital thermometer. Does anyone know where I could buy just the probe? I think I'm going to just have to make one myself.

Yah, the proto is such a cluge! My fiance just rolls her eyes every time I ask her to check out what I have added to it! :P

It will probably be a little while before I have the real thing built up, as I am kind of just fiddling around with it here and there when I have time.

Thanks for the comments!

shao-lin nano

That looks interesting, what kind of microcontroller is that and how much?

I've used a Motorola microcontroller in school and programed it in assembly...If you're programming it yourself what languate are you using?

That is an Atmel ATMega160, and I am using C to program it. They run about $6 each. You were probably working with a Motorola 68k, the grad daddy of embedded processors. I worked on the same one back in college. The new microcontrollers have a lot of the peripherals built in, so you need less glue-logic on the board.

That software is pretty sweet, and I assume everything is wireless?

The reason I went with the design I'm working on is that I wouldn't have to be connected to a PC all of the time, and therefore wouldn't have to worry about Windows crashing, and taking my aquarium with it.

There is sooooo much stuff you can add. For my nano, I'm just trying to keep it integrated in the hood. Now, when I get a bigger tank, I want to have a PC dedicated to running it with all of the history, controlling pumps, waterchanges, etc.

Thanks for the comments!

So can I beta test?

I don't even know if I want to sell these things yet! It sounds like Chris (NanoCustoms) is coming out with something similar. I'm really just doing it for fun. I'm an embedded software engineer, so I work on this stuff every day. I just thought it would be fun to design something I could use.

I am looking into pH probes, and think I will add one to this. I'm trying to find a good datasheet on one right now, so I know how to connect it.

So, everyone knows what I should add to it :P. But what does everyone think of using the ICA as both a heater and chiller?

Originally posted by nanocuber

I don't even know if I want to sell these things yet!  It sounds like Chris (NanoCustoms) is coming out with something similar.  I'm really just doing it for fun.  I'm an embedded software engineer, so I work on this stuff every day.  I just thought it would be fun to design something I could use.

I am looking into pH probes, and think I will add one to this.  I'm trying to find a good datasheet on one right now, so I know how to connect it.

So, everyone knows what I should add to it :P.  But what does everyone think of using the ICA as both a heater and chiller?

thats very impressive! check out http://electrodesdirect.com/section_id/2/c...category_id/179 for your nitrate and NH3 probes. They're very expensive but they do make them:) I was working on a similar idea, but had to call it quits because I was assigned to a new project @ work thus leaving me w no time:( good luck, and keep us posted!

i would say, you should just use the ica as a chiller, if you have a seperate heater, it will automatically turn on if it gets too cool, if you have it seperate from the controller... better safe than sorry... i took an electronic's programming course last semester, and was plannign to do this too... but since im a procrastinator, i'll get to it soon;) ... i worked with the paralax board ... in that class, if any of you guys have heard of it...

xsamx:

Thanks for the support and links! Yah, I think I'll just stick with the pH electrode for this design. Maybe for a bigger more expensive tank, I would invest in the other expensive probes.

sumyungviet:

That's what I was thinking! It just would have been "way cooler" B) to use it as a heater too! Oh well, better safe than sorry. Yah, it's been pretty fun putting it together so far. If you do get around to doing it yourself, check out ExpressPCB. They give you the schematic and layout software for free, and for $59 (including shipping) you can get three 2.5" x 3.8" bare PCBs.

Archived