ReefCleaners.org

Do I need a skimmer

Duce

Long story short....I planned to get a 10G earlier and now I want a 20G instead. Should I get a skimmer due to the increase in size? I will have about 1-1/2" of LS and 15-20Lbs of LR....Circulation provided by a canister filter and a PH. Bioload will be minimal...maybe a firefish and a 6 line...the tank will be for SPS and clam.

you really can't go wrond with a skimmer. on a system that size, a back pack or prizm would do nicely. if you can keep up with your water changes, a skimmer isn't necessary, but still benificial. there is a lot of info available on this subject at this sight so do a search using this link (just be glad dave didn't get to you first):http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/search.php?s=

I can tell you that in the future, I'll skim any new tank, period. After the six month point, I'll skim less & less and work toward removing the skimmer altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be mostly for convenience. You could go longer without water changes but would need to suppliment the water from what you skim out over time. Or, you could just do your timely water changes.

A skimmer would not be a bad idea for that tank. Once full of coral and other life, a good amount of money would be spent. Even if you don't normally use the skimmer, it may help you out in a bind if you need to clean up your water in an emergency situation or plan on going on a few weeks vacation. It would not hurt to have one. If the funds are not an issue, I say go for it.

Archived