ReefCleaners.org

Bubble tipped anemone question

Djm9288

Hi i was wondering what requirements must i meet to keep a BTA in a 10 gal tank. This will be my first. I want to get a lot of LR a cleanup crew, and 2 ocellaris clowns, but i wanted a BTA for them, So ifd youve ever kept one in a nano please tell your experiences.

Daniel

Kryptonite123

Hey Djm9288, bta's aren't natural hosts for ocellaris clowns but it has worked (may take a while).  These anemone's require lots of light, low to med current and great water conditions (especially in the nitrate area).  They are one of if not the most docile of the anemones.  I have one in my 15g.  If you decide to get one make sure it has good color when you buy it.  When I got mine I didn't know much about them and got one that was partially bleached.  It is recovering quite well with my lighting but I wouldn't suggest going for a bleached one.  It should have good dark coloration and not be white.  The lighter the color, the more bleached it is.  Tomato and maroon clowns are very good fish for this particular host.  Although I would leave maroon clowns alone as they can grow much too big for a 10g.

fishymissy

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that clownfish do not need an anemone to be happy! They will do quite well without one. Anemones are very difficult to keep in the aquarium, most only live a few months. There is no guarantee the clowns will even accept the anemone. Instead you could try a hammer or frogspawn coral. Very hardy animals and clowns have been known to take to them too.

Here are some good articles on anemones

www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen8.html

www.athiel.com/lib/questions/anemone.htm

HTH

djm, I agree with fishymissy on that you should look at other options other than an anemone the clowns dont need one to be happy. Although I would like to say many people are keeping anemones alive for yrs not months, I myself have 3 rose anemones that have split a few times in the last yr. I am setting up a 20 for a rose and a mated pair of gold stripe maroon clowns.

Here is a pic of that tank.

Daveroses.jpg

That is not my nano but it is a 46g. with 2x400mh and alot of current. I bought the anemone for my new sps tank but it started to split so, another reason to start a new tank.  I still think that a 10 is too small, expecially if it is your first tank. You should check out REEFCental.com and look up what it takes to keep one alive. they should not be bought if you cant keep it thriving not just alive..

Just my opinion.

Dave

Archived