Pod Your Reef

Live rock hitchhiker - is this a fireworm?

Nice

Brougt home some new live rock to cycle a new tank, this guy crawled out of the 4lb. rock on the left. He is pretty darn big, probably at least 8 inches stretched out. Is he a 'fireworm'? Is he a baddie?

If so, what should I do with him? My girlfriend told me I have to get rid of it, but he seems too nice of a speciman to just euthanize.

He is mostly purple, but the rear 10% of him is reddish. There is a distinct line in the colors, it doesn't fade from purple to red.

fireworm.jpg

Yup, I agree, and I have some of similar color. He's a "goodie" but is rather on the large side. Only reason I'd possibly get rid of him would be due to the large size or if the GF is so freaked out by him that it may cause relationship problems, lol. ;)

They do get large, and ugly. I don't see mine during the day, though, or rarely, aynway. If you really want (or if your GF cuts you off ;) ), set a trap to get out him and any other giant ones. You'll have more, anyway.

Well, the girlfriend was very skittish because the tank is in my bedroom where we.. sleep and she doesn't like the "creepiness" of the "snake".

I comforted her in the fact he only seems to come out at night, and last night she was all looking for him so there may be hope with them becoming friends. At least until she realizes I want to get new lights without a hood that covers the entire top.

That leads me to another question: what is a good solution for covering your tank when you get hanging lights but you have snails that seem like they want to crawl out of your tank? Cover the tank in acrylic? Does that block too much light/ gas exchange? I have a 20L tank.

Archived