Innovative Marine Aquariums

10 gallon nano

blue fishies

i just bought a 10 gallon with 2 mini jet powerheads, 50w heater, a hydrometer, test kit, 51 gallons of seachem salt mix, 2 36 watt pc...a blue bulb and a 10,000k, and was thinking of getting a prism skimmer

i wanted to add the folowing....2 clownfish,green star polyps,an anemone shroom, a rhodactis, a few polyp colonies, a sarcophytom glaucum, a few xenia, a pom-pom,a red brain,a hammar, a few sponges, 2 cleaner shrimp,1 blood/fire shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, a few turbo snails,a few blue-legged hermits, a tridanid clams,a pincushin urchin

any comments/suggestions/or anything the im doing or going to do wrong?:|

take it slow. It's nice to see you have your livestock planned already.

The lighting should be fine for that selection.

Start off by getting some live rock and live sand in the tank. Let it run for a few weeks or a month even. This will allow for die-off and it will cycle the tank. Once your tests show that the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia have spiked and cycled out, you will be ready to add some livestock. I would start adding corals, softies, shrooms etc. before adding shrimp, then add the fish. Add no more than two or three corals at a time. Acclimate them, allow the tank a couple of weeks to adjust to the new bioload and then add a couple more things.

If you do too much, too fast, you will most likely wind up with a tank full of death.

skimmer would help with that bio-load although i still wouldn't recommend 4 shrimp in a 10! not to mention compatibility questions about CBS (every individual is different) with cleaner species. look at smaller clown species-percula/ocellaris. think twice about the clam. at the very least try a lower light demanding specimen like a derasa or squamosa. if he/she/it seems happy then maybe you can think about someone else, but there are many questions about their success under PCs. i have no experience with pin cushion urchins but some species of urchin are omnivorous and may snack on (or in fact mow down) a coral head! turbos are large buldozers and may topple light pieces of rockwork, think about some astrea and ceriths (lil sand burrowers-i love em). sounds like a sweet tank, these are just my concerns and you may be aware of these already! GL

TG

EDIT: and like crakeur said, take it slow!

twins is right. I didn't even look into the bulldozer effect or the shrimp. Get trochus snails over the turbos. Trubos get golfball sized and they will knock things around. Urchins also do the coral walk and those spines can and will do some damage.

That clam does require alot of light and most clams are pretty hard to keep. I would avoid them for a while at the least. let the tank get settled in and see if you still want it down the road. They are expensive and way too sensitive.

2 cleaner shrimp are fine. or one cleaner and one peppermint to help with aiptasia. Coral banded are nice but they can be pests.

Hammer corals are nice but they have long sweepers and will need a wide berth or you put your other livestock at risk.

ya, ive heared clams are hard too keep but ill see, as for the cbs i think i can do with out and add a pepermint in its place, and ill get trochus snails instead of turbo,i wanted the hammer but ill have to see,if it gets to big i can always frag it and sell the frags. i never thought about the urchins moving around a lot, only that thet might eat all my coralline alerge :o, but once i get my tank started up all add a few things at a time, and im going to add a 6 gallon refuge, and i forgot to metion abot lr and sand. im going to get 12 lbs of figi lr, and some of that dead sand, forgot what its called. and ill see what i can do about the skimmer

Archived