inTank Media Baskets

nice little filter for you pico lovers!

pjtech

Drain function? None of these I have have any kind of drain function o_O

They're decent filters to get some water flow in pico tanks.

Originally posted by reefin300

Yeah those are cool little filters and it has a drain function too!

As someone mentioned, I have not heard of a drain function on these. Which model has the drain? I think I want one...

Thats not a drain cap.Its a disk that is ecentrically mounted so uyou can turn it to adjust the filter to hand level on the back of a tank.

My local sw dealer has them at blow out prices...Try $3.00 each and Petco sells the same exact item for $12.95 each.

I bought a half dozen of em and my dealer told me to take the rest of them so I wound up with 10 total.

I modded one to make a refrugium in it, yea small but its neat, and I did not need all that filter batting anyhow, and prefer to have as much LR as possible even if its in marble sized pices.....I added a baffle with perferations between the inlet chamger and the main body, and also added another baffle approximately 1/2" behind the overflow chute front, so inserting filter material is not an issue with it hanging up on the LR in the rest of the chamber which is about 1.5 x 1.5" square after installing the baffles......

I found some Fluval carbon impregnated filter material which is approximately 3/8 or 1/2" thick and just the right length for these filters. If you cut the carbon impregnated pad lengthwise in half yu can get two AC filter pads out of it. I pull the provided white filter pads in half as they too will make 2 pads that way....

On none of my filters does the hole there go all the way through so that water can drain out. Did you drill it out or get it from someone else? Either that, or manufacturing defect where your hole went all the way through accidentally.

I guess I got screwed on all the ones I bought as none of them have through holes either......

I fyou pull that grey colored round disk looking thingie off the bottom and look at it, you will notice the stem that fits into thr filter housing is not in the center of that disk. Its offset or eccentric. NOw hang that filter on the tank, and rotate that disk. NOtice it adjusts the filter bottom in and out from the tank wall, this is so you can make the water level in the filter body level. The sole purpose of this disk / knob thing is to adjust for various thicknesses of tanks, and also provide a smaller foot print against the tank itself......certainly not a drain. If indeed yours has a hole right through it into the chamber, and I don't doubt that yours does not go all the way through, it was either a defective unit, or someone opened up this hole thinking it was a drain hole and their was still flash covering it from the manufacturing process. If its open I would dry it, and put a dollop of silicone into it and seal it up.

maybe mine was a mfg defect however it never really leaked or anything like that and seemed to work fine for me! I gave my pico away to my neighbor a loooooong time ago because it required too much maintenance and I didn't have the time for it, but If I ever bother to get one of these cheap filters again I'll make sure to look out for it :)

• 2 weeks later...

i would rather the elite mini. It is submersible, and it is really really small. Adjustable flow rate up to 58 GPH. Has a built in venturi which i stop a valve cap on so i didn't get micro bubbles in the tank. The bottom half of it comes off where there is a small filter material. This would also be very good for making a mini skimmer for your nano or pico. 8 bucks at petco :)

Archived