Cultivated Reef

$20 13w PC Retro (DIY)

Christopher Marks

even better than the lights you guys are talking about are the 13w PC desklamp fixtures you can buy from either walmart or HD. These fixtures come in blue and gray(i think) it's a "retro" style flip-open desklamp that doubles as a night light. you can just open these bad boys up and pull out the insides...it comes with a remote-style ballast and on-off switch. Check out www.fifthaeon.com/bonsaireef for pic of this setup. I used 3 desk lamps @ 9.99 each, and setup the ballasts in a remote switch-box to keep heat in the canopy down to a minimum. My 5gal nano is just exploding with growth. the whole canopy setup for my nano cost about 60 bucks...3 lights ($30, walmart), remote switchbox and switches from radioshack (about $20) , 2 small muffinfans ($5 at skycraft surplus), and a few odds and ends. new pics up soon...corraline ALL OVER the place!

peace,

happy reefing!

• 2 weeks later...

wouldnt it be better to buy the retro kits at hellolights.com

they come with better bulbs than the 6500k and are around 20 bucks too...

Christopher Marks

The HelloLights 13w retros are a good idea, but with the ballast being right by the bulb, heat becomes a major issue. Being able to keep the ballasts outside of the hood keeps the tank much cooler.

Snootleather

I searched all weekend for one of these lights with no luck, checked out stacks & stacks online but found nothing. Does anyone know of some place else on line that carries this light?

Is Rite-lite the manufacture? If anyone can help me locate some of these lights, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Christopher Marks

Bayco is the manufacturer. It appears that Stacks and Stacks only sells them seasonally. I've never found them anywhere else online, unfortunately.

I just ordered two of these from paperdirect.com for 12.99 each. Dunno if they're seasonal but they're on sale now. Search for "Bookworm". It's the ones by Bayco in two different styles.

Don't know, but I'll tell you when I get them. They should be here earliest by the weekend. With shipping, two lights total cost about $37 so if you can find them local, good, but if not, they -are- available online for less than 20 a pop.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got the lights from Paperdirect today. They're the bookworms by Bayco with coil stand, and the bulb in both is 6500 K. Looks good so far! These are sweet little lights...paperdirect.com has them for 12.99 each and shipping's not too bad. Hope this helps people who can't find them locally.

Archived