Pod Your Reef

Hang On Back Filters

BRIANSTINYREEF

BRIANSTINYREEF

DO THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THESE SMALL HANG ON BACK FILTERS FIND THAT THE SMALL FOAM THATS IN THE FILTER COLLECTS ALOT OF SMALL DIRT GARBAGE FROM YOUR TANK? OR IS THE FOAM PAD THERE USELESS?

Hey, WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CAPS!

BTW, I leave my sponge off unless I'm doing some tank cleaning... I think you'll find quite a few (if not the majority) leave the 'mechanical' filtration to critters and the biological to LR and/or LS.

-Ed

Originally posted by BRIANSTINYREEF

DO THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THESE SMALL HANG ON BACK FILTERS FIND THAT THE SMALL FOAM THATS IN THE FILTER COLLECTS ALOT OF SMALL DIRT GARBAGE FROM YOUR TANK? OR IS THE FOAM PAD THERE USELESS?

Um, isn't the sponge's sole purpose to collect that dirt?

Sponge collects dirt, you clean the sponge and put it back in the filter.

I used a hob filter when I cycled and let it run for a month after the tank was established. After that I removed the sponge and the filter media, put my chiller on the tank and ran it that way. Winter now so no hob chiller.

I'm with Crakeur on this, why use a HOB if you aren't going to use the sponge, it does TWO things that I can think of off the top of my head. It collects debris and it is a great place for nitrifying bacteria to live. Take it out once a week and squeeze it a couple times in the water you remove from the tank during a water change and put it back.

I use an Aquaclear Mini on my 7 gal bow for a few things.

I use it for carbon when adding a new coral or if I am having any algae problems to decrease dissolved organics. I also use the sponge occasionally after tank maintenance. I used to run the sponge full time and take it out weekly and clean it with hot water for a few minutes to kill the bacteria and prevent nitrate build-up. The only problem with using the sponge was that I would find a fair number of dead copepods in there, so I don't run it full-time anymore.

Finally, I like the additional circulation it provides.

Archived