SaltCritters.com

Mini-Jet 900? or ?

BeerNuts

Where are you guys getting mini-jet 900's? I have been to 5 LFS and the highest they had was the 600.

If I really can't find one.. What other pumps is everyone running in there cubes. I am getting close to the end of my cycle and want to get my water flow in order. I was planing a mini-jet 900 and a hydro-flo.

Anyone else have any advice on diffrent water flow setups?

stoney waters

I think most people who use that pump have placed it in chamber 1 blowing out through the grate. I myself replaced the stock pump with a mini-jet 600 and a Hydor flo. I have been pleased with its performance.

I'm running a maxi-jet 900 in the 3rd chamber of my 12DX and a Rio 90 in the first chamber blowing out the grate. A maxi-jet 1200 will fit, but it creates too much heat.

having a pump in the first chamber blowing out the grate, does this effect the water from going through the ather chambers at all? and are you using a cassett suface skimmer in front of the grate ? new to the nano cube and have many unanswered questions. I've had a 65 breeder set up for about 3 years never had any problems but with this cube forget it!!!!!

First i'm trying to find a small enough hangon overflow to run a fuge/sump underneith that will also house a skimmerThat to me is problem #1 no skimmer

Originally posted by the commish

having a pump in the first chamber blowing out the grate, does this effect the water from going through the ather chambers at all? and are you using a cassett suface skimmer in front of the grate ? new to the nano cube and have many unanswered questions. I've had a 65 breeder set up for about 3 years never had any problems but with this cube forget it!!!!!

I currently have my Rio 90 in chamber 1 blowing out the grate. Obviously I don't have a skimmer mod in place or else that would be impossible. In chamber 3 is my maxi-jet 900 with a hydor flo. The combination of the hydo flo'd maxi 900 and the rio 90 makes for very good randomized flow.

the on thing that boggles me is if your forcing water out of the intake grate how does enough water pass to reach the second and third chambers. I HAVE A MAXI 1200 THAT I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING IN, TO REPLACE STOCK PUMP, BUT I SEE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE PUTTING A SECOND PUMP IN THE FIRST SO WAS GONNA PUT THE STOCK ONE IN THER . JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WORKS BEFORE I MAKE THE SWITCH

Long answer: The force from the pump in chamber 1 is not enough to overcome the pump in chamber 3 and not allow any water to reach the 2nd and 3rd chambers. Keep in mind that the pump in chamber 1 still draws water into chamber 1. At that point water in chamber 1 is drawn downward from the pressure gradient produced as chamber 3 in emptied by the pump in chamber 3.

Short answer: It works; don't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to clarify, i can go ahead and get a maxi flow 900 and put that in the 3rd chamber with a hydor flo attachment. and then i could take my stock pump and move it to chamber 1 having the water coming out of the grate? would i have to remove the grate? or how would i connect it to come out of the grate area. and if i have water coming out of the grate, will that be better than just getting the maxi 900 and keeping the grate open?

Archived