Cultivated Reef

250W heater too much for 5.5gal nano?

tanakiye

I happen to have a visi-jet 250 watt heater laying around, was considering putting it into my all-glass 5.5gal...anyone think this is too much for a small tank? not sure how many gals. its rated for.....

also, is this a reliable heater?

thanks!

It'll work fine but I think you may get sick of looking at it after a while. Also, because of it's size and the small size of nano reefs you may have a higher risk of breaking it by accident.

My opinion would to got a smaller 50w or 100w heater to use instead but if your on a tight budget the 250w will work just be aware of it.

Cameron

Just a word of caution.... Of all the different heaters I have tried and I have indeed used MANY Visi-therms they were the only heater I had used where the contacts on the switch welded shut on me... can happen to any heaters with this arrangement (non solid-state) but it wasn't just once. This happened with two different ones so I wasn't about to push my luck with them again. I'm not saying they suck, just relating my history with them. Get used to keeping an ever vigilant watch on the temp in your tank... that's a seriously big heater for such a small tank and if it should lock up on you in the ON position... well I would say it could literally cook the tank in 20 or 30 minutes.

i've been checking out a few other heaters, i found one in aquatic eco's catalog thats only 25 watts and also has the fail-safe shutoff feature. this one looks like a good deal and is only 14.99. I only need the temp to go up about 2 degrees...the tank cools off a bit at night...

Archived