Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best way to get rid of ich?

Hobg05

Clown is starting to show ich about 6 spots today only 2 yesterday. any ideas on what to do? I have a uv that I could hook up should I? or just let it do its course.

uv is worthless.

try keeping it well fed. if it eats well, its immune system will stay strong and it should be able to fight it.

a good product that is all natural is kent marine garlic extreme. this might help worst case if it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Thanks, I am feeding him Formula ONE Marine pellets that I got at the LFS. What is it about garlic? does it give a big boost in the immune system?

I imagined you read my newbies ich journal a couple of posts down.

No way of telling if it was Ich or not, but in the course of this week, I have read 1000's of pages on the issue.

The guarenteed way? remove fish from tank for about 2 months. treat the fish in a qt tank.

But, the other ways people reported and ideas suggested:

Garlic is the "in thing" treatment. I crushed a garlic clove into a small cup containing salt water from the tank, let it soak, then strained some water into another small cup and put food in it that water to soak, then poured it in the tank for feedings.

I am sure Kent's GarlicX is more expensive than a glove of garlic.

Turn your water up to 82 degrees. This shortens the life cycle of the Ich.

Be vigilant with your tank, to avoid any temp swings or things to stress the fish.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html

get started on yor reading :) gives you something to do besides counting the spots.

Yeah I skimmed the article. It i skind of ironic that the Ich just came up the day I start puting together a new Qt tank. i jusedd i can put it to work soon.

6 mos ago Had an outbreak of ich after foolishly bypassing my quarintine tank and adding a 6 line wrasse who was infected. Soon my clowns and royal gramma came down with ich. There was no way I could catch them without breaking down the tank.

I tried Ruby Reef kick Ich against my better judgement. But I'm glad I did. Got rid of the Ich. Didnt harm my corals.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter what anyone says or what any bottle of medication says nothing that treats ich effectively. The only proven meathods to completely cure the problem are copper treatment or hyposalinity, neither of which are invert safe. They should both be done only in a hospital tank unless you don't mind killing all your inverts. I would try the garlic first, as am I, and then I will be treating with hypo if that doesn't work well. I just want my fish to stay alive! Hope that helps. I don't know all that much as I am still new to this but I have been doing LOTS of reading to help my potters angel live. Maybe Six will chime in...

Jordan

I didn't have a QT tank when I got hit with ich a couple a weeks ago. Nor did I have the cash to set one up. My salution: I got on my local forum and asked if any locals (that I trusted) could take my fish in for a few weeks. My club president gladly took me up on it. He's got my guys in a QT and treating them for me while my tank sits fishless for at least a month. That'll ensure to break the ick cycle in my main tank while my fish are getting fixed up.

I use minced garlic, or crushed fresh garlic with noticable benefits for my fish.

what I do is syringe some water out of the tank, put it in a snall bowl with some garlic, let is soak for about 10 min. then filter that water into another small bowl of his food. I try not to get large chunks of garlic in it.

let it soak for 5 to 10 min, then pour it in the tank.

Archived