Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

pH, Ca, dkH problems

chvynva916

What is the remedy?

I have low pH, high dkH, and low Ca.

I can add Ca...

If I use pH uppers they also raise the dKH and will lower the Ca?

What do I do?

I'm currently adding 6 drops of Kent Liquid Ca every day and no other Ca, pH, or dkH additives.

pH=8

dKH=12

Ca=360

I don't see those number being problematic....

You Alk is fine, calcium is a tad low (400ish would be ideal), and your pH seems cool.

A little more ca would be good. Your pH has balanced to your tank chemistry and I wouldn't worry about it.

You really don't want to use pH buffers in your tank. Using alkalinity and calcium buffers to keep them at ideal levels will keep your pH in check.

Cameron

printerdown01

I bet you ran those test in the morning ;) or at night when the lights were off... -perhaps I'm wrong, BUT I would put $5 (not 20 but 5) on it :) . Here is what I think. Your CA/Alk ballance is off thus your pH is unstable. Swings from REALLY low at night to REALLY high durring the day. I bet if your check your pH durring the day you will be on the upper limits of your test kit (especially if it is dipping way down to 8). I use reef calcium (calcium duh) and reef builder (bi-carb). Feel free to just add a little more of one than the other until the ballance is reached ;). Not saying this is the ONLY possibility but again I'm with psych on this. Except I so see something wrong with a pH of 8... Don't worry though the tank isn't going to crash or anything. It's not like you went down to 7.6 or something... Remember change NOTHING QUICKLY in a reef tank! Changes should be slow. Things have adapted to the chemical imballances in your tank, so if you try to "correct" them quickly you will cause more harm than good!

• 6 months later...
gustavo1999

Hello,

Newbie here.

I have a tank that is about 1 month old. (see specs below)

I took these readings with lights on at 12pm. Water temp was 80F.

ph=7.8

ammonia=.25ppm

nitrites=0ppm

nitrates=0ppm

alk=180ppm

salinity=1.023

Question: How can I raise the ph ?

Archived