inTank Media Baskets

Need help! Nudibranch? Good? Bad? Identify!

barbadeau

yeppers, anybody have any opinions about getting rid of many of them??? we have taken out about 2 large ones, and about 10 or so small ones...... any shrimp/crab/fish that will eat these.....? anybody?

I dip every zoa before adding to my tank, because I have had the zoa eating nudi's before, rather be safe then sorry. I am not saying that is what you have, just if they are, you are in for a long haul especially if there is eggs.

well I think mine had eggs that hatched, so I am pulling them out 5-10 at a time, I was wondering if there is a nano fish, or shrimp that will dine on these.....

They're zoo-eating nudis, and they can be difficult to eradicate. Dipping new corals doesn't necessarily remove them all, though, just for the record. Try sucking them out with a turkey baster, removing the zoo rocks (ALL of them) and dipping them. Look up more; do a search right here on NR, and you'll find lots of info.

Dipping them gets rid of the hatched ones,ime. Vigorously shake them and then do an inspection before adding to your tank. I do not know of anything that will kill the eggs though. Since I have been dipping my corals, I have found several in the bottom of my dipping containers, instead of being introduced into my tank, better safe then sorry. I do just a fw dip but some add lugol (sp?) solution also.

Here's a great solution [prevention] to your problem: QUARANTINE TANK!

MANY wild colonies come with nudis, btw. Sundial snails, too, but the snails are much easier to eradicate.

Originally posted by barbadeau

Well all I know is that I never had this problem until I put zoas from Coral Fanatics into my tank..... - http://www.coralfanatics.com/  -   Although I cannot prove this 100% I'd have to admit that this is where I THINK they came from.  Not to happy about that.

The first time that I saw them was on an order I received from the same place. I wasn't going to throw the name out because anyone can have them and not know it, but since you mentioned it, I did too.

Originally posted by Caesar777

Here's a great solution [prevention] to your problem: QUARANTINE TANK!

Good idea, but not always feasible. Many people keep nano's because of cost and space issue's. To set up a qt tank would require twice what they may have originally planned or call for more space and money then they have.

All you need is a $10 glass 10-gallon tank from Petco and maybe a powerhead, and a strip-light. It's a reasonable investment, especially considering the total cost of all the livestock in your tank, which potentially could be lost (some or all) if a pathogen or parasite were to be introduced. It's a common misconception among people with nanos that, exactly that--"I don't need/can't have a QT". Not so.

Originally posted by Caesar777

It's a common misconception among people with nanos that, exactly that--"I don't need/can't have a QT". Not so.

I find this to be an erroneous statement. Most find it an issue of space, not fallacy.

A reasonable investment yes, but still one that some cannot provide, for their own various reasons.

Well I should have fresh water dipped them before I put them in my tank, my bad..... don't need a whole QT to do a fresh water dip, I didn't know these things existed.... so its a challegne, but i'll beat them.... :)

Archived