Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lowe's Light Hack Pictures

Chamkeeper

Thank you! I figured there couldn't be regular sized 13 watt ballasts in there, it was too light weight. Looks like it would work great for a retro. What are you planning to use it on?

Would the weird little ballast it's got going drive the lights at the "correct" wattage? 'cause, that's looking like a really good supliment for my ten gallon...

I almost bought one of these yesterday.Just for some advice for someone going out to buy them look close at the bulbs.I noticed that some had 6500k some had 5000k some had both mixed.Just a heads up make sure you see bothe bulbs k rateing.;)

No holes or screws in the ballast. I don't see why you couldn't just put it in a small plastic box without mounting it. As far as the correct wattage goes, I have nothing to compare it to or measure it with. I suppose you could compare it to another 13W bulb and ballast and see how it looks.

On another note, I ran this thing in a drawer for about three hours to check the heat. The handle (where the ballast is) was warm to the touch and the bulb area was warm as expected, but the heat issue I thought was pretty good, this thing shouldn't warm up a tank to much even with the ballast in the hood.

Christopher Marks

In the same department at Lowes they have 'clamp' lights, which are similar. They are better however because the ballast is mounted in the power cord already, and you are able to remove the clip to mount the light inside it's protective tube in your hood.

I'll try to get a photo of mine before I return it. (I bought it, but decided I didn't need it)

Edit: I decided to make a whole thread about it, for refrence purposes. Click here.

• 4 weeks later...

Awsome! That is the same lighting I am using on my 5 1/2 gallon nano reef! Arent they great for the money! I built a wodden canopy and wooden riser also. The lights and balast fit perfectly. They have no bolt holes on the fixtures so you have to take a dremle tool and notch them in a u shape. then use a flat head wood screw and use that as a slip conector. I have the end of the bulbs facing the sides. I used the rubber bulb holer it came with and split it in two peices. then used wood screws and placed them so as they were holding the end of the bulbs . Just sqush the rubber down and slip them out when you have to replace the bulbs. I will just post some pictures and get it over with i guess :)!

They also have these marvelous critters at Wallmart in one and two bulb form. Single bulb lamps are something like $9, whereas the two bulb lamps are $14.

Walmart, and gods know I love wallyworld sooo, also has some lovely under-cabinet lamps around the $7 range which work swimmingly.

I'll say that on the above lamps, older models are said to have a tendancy to go pop... so, drilling a few holes in the casing would definately be "A gooood thang"

Either way, good low-heat lighting for a good price. Can't beat that.

-Sumbel, buying crap so she can take it apart, so other people don't have to.

technoshaman

Sumbel can you post pics of the 2 light things you got from WalMart? Also what kind of bulbs did they come stock with. All the clamp lights I have bought had 6500k in them. Every time I go into walmart I can never find these things and the clerks at walmart in my area barely speak English or maybe they don't understand what the hell I am asking them for.

I did not actually buy the two "shop lights" mentioned at the top. The ones I picked up are Lights of America flourescent. Two single 15w t8's each in their own housing.

Lights of America has their own website if you wanna check out their products.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually used this Lowe's twin bulb utility light in a hood with actinics? I've got the thing disassembled and placed in my hood. I soldered in some wire to move the switches to the back of my hood. The 6500K lamps that came with it work like a champ, but my actinic 13w won't fire at all. Anyone had experience with this thing? My soldering isn't top notch or anything so I thought the problem might be there. Do actinics require more umph to get them started up than the 6500K lamps do? I next plan on bypassing one switch to take all of my work out of the loop to see if I've caused the problem with my handy or in this case handless work. I've tried 2 13w actinic bulbs btw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Uncle Ted

Yep Uncle Ted there seems to be a problem with the bulb thang. Mine won't fire a 50/50 from AHS either. So don't panic it's not your wiring. I will try my other 13 watt bulbs later today and report back.

I just use mine on a 10g QT tank, so the 6500Ks are fine. I QTed a Polyp that opened completely and seemed to really flourish under the "Stock" lights.

I have not used these lights on anything but my QT tank. The light they produce is a beautiful, bright, crisp white. I think the $25 light would be plenty for a 10g 'fuge, Wally World & Lowe's sell a single unit for around $10, and it comes with a clamp for super simple mounting. Chris has links pictures of it in this post.

In my opinion, this is a great 'emergency' light to have on hand. In case of a major castastrophy, this light would be enough to convince most soft corals to open and feed while waiting for a failed main lighting system to get repaired.

Archived