Cultivated Reef

Anyone remember what the site is?

quiksilver5768

They sell the ballast for $55, does anyone know if they sell this ballast at any hardware stores and how much it costs?  It looks like a normal Advanced ballast.  You could get the ballast from them and get a 12000k bulb from hellolights.com for $55.  that would be pretty good for MH.

You would also need to factor in the socket and posibly a refelctor and some type of fan. MH lights are something you don't wana skimp tooo badly on. But I would be curios  to see what other types of balasts could be used. Good luck man,

gaber

quiksilver5768

Yea thats the site Toy, thanks for the help

Yea gabe, you also have to factor in a good reflector and a nice fan which would probably add $30-40 or somewhere around that range.

quiksilver5768

I also have a question though...If you purcahse just the bulb and the ballast with a reflector...where can you get the socket type for the bulb which would connect to the ballast? Because from what I see, all you get is the ballast for $55 and if you want the whole retro-kit its $75. Though if home depot sells this type of socket or whatever for cheap than I would rather put it all together by myself. Is the socket just a normal socket you would see in an incandescent light fixture or is there a special kind?

Basically, I would like to kno exactly what the ballast comes with if any of you has purchased this before...Thanks

quiksilver5768

One last question...lol (sorry for all the posts)

Im looking for a nice blueish/white 175 watt MH bulb. I would like a bulb that I would not need actinic supplimation for while still looking white with a nice tint of blue. Is the 15,000K Xanium H2 this type of bulb? What about the new Vion Z6 10,000K on hellolights.com. Is that a nice color or would it need actinic light with it. I still want a blue color in the lights with white...any suggestions?

I would say with a 10k some bulbs will still have a slight yellow hue.  12k and above will have the blue you want.  

NanoReefer53

I hear the Vion turns green over time and is not really great quality. If you want a crisp white with a tint of blue, get the AB (Aqualine) bulbs. The Sunburt 12k's don't give out as much light as other bulbs though.

Fishiebusiness

That 175 watt retro with bulb for 75 dollars seems like a very good deal. Does anyone notice any catches? Also, if i want a pendant into which i could put that retro, where could i get one?

NanoReefer53

Yes there is a catch...the bulb it comes with is only 4300k which is not good for reef tanks. You'll need to add $79 to uprade it to a 12,000k or just buy another bulb yourself.

I bought one of thier retro's about 2 years ago.

It worked fine the bulb included is useless. The ballast fired everytime and it was super easy to do. I have since traded that combo away but still use thier $25 reflector. its high quality for a cheapo set up. You will need a Mogul socket if you dont buy from them they do have them at Home depot for like $6 each.

On another note I am running a Xanium 400W 15K on my hex and I absolutely Love it. My corals flourese w/out actinic suplimentation and it is the perfect blue for me. I came from Radium 20K's and they were dark blue on my Tar ballasts but I have heard they are beautiful on the right HQI ballast. I havent tried the other new chinese bulb from Hellolights so I can't comment there.

I am scared they wont get the Xanium's back in and I wont be able to get a few more. It came to $62 SHIPPED with the e-coupon. I would pay $100 for it.

HTH,

Toy

Archived