ReefCleaners.org

Are Nanocubes noisy?

JazzcatCB

I'm planning to get a 12G Nanocube DX, but my housemate says aquariums are too noisy. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the loudest, how noisy is the Nanocube? Thanks.

If you replace the stock pump with a quiet one like an AquaClear, the only noise they make is the fans on the hood. Mine is about as loud as a computer. Maybe about 3-5 db or so.

fiftymillimeter

i replaced the stock pump with a maxijet 900. it is less than two feet from my head as i fall asleep. you won't even notice it.

for me itll be a 2 also so they're not loud to me at all my FW w/ a hang on filter is louder than it cause i dont like adding water to the tank :)

Replacing the stock pump takes about 3 minutes. It's very simple. You just go back to the 3rd chamber in the back and pull it out, drop the new one down in there, hook the hose to it and walla done.

You can get a replacement pump for like $30 or so.

Originally posted by HkySk8r187

Replacing the stock pump takes about 3 minutes. It's very simple. You just go back to the 3rd chamber in the back and pull it out, drop the new one down in there, hook the hose to it and walla done.

You can get a replacement pump for like $30 or so.

Great! Thanks for the info. Btw, I hate to be an ass, but I think you meant "voilà done" ;)

There are no special mods to switch out your pump. You are just connecting plastic tube. I think the output on the maxijets fit 1/2 OD (Outside diameter) clear plastic tube. So you may have to go to the hardware store and buy 1 foot of the clear plastic tube. It is a good idea to put zip ties over the connections so they do not slip off. If I recall, on the maxijet 1200, you have to snip off one part of the plastic suction cup mount to get it to fit in the chamber. Make sure it is securely mounted in the middle of the chamber, if the power head touches the chamber plastic it makes a noisy vibrating sound. It is so easy to do, I do not consider it a mod. But it is an upgrade as the stock pumps are not nearly as reliable. You can use the stock pump as a backup and it makes water changes go quickly instead of trying to use a straight siphon method. The stock pump will pump out 3 gallons of water in less than a couple minutes and vice versa.

TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Just get the f++=-@@333 tank, mine is like many others here even w/ stock pump quiet,hope by now you allready got it. My farts are louder:D :D

I shut off my pump and pulled it out to inspect it. When I pulled it out, the plastic hose that connects to the output nozzle just slid right off, easy as you please. It is not on there tight *at all* After reading a horror story here about how someone's hose came off of the output nozzle while the pump was operating, and sprayed water all over the inside of the hood and carpet, I am now very nervous about restarting my pump. Are they all connected this loosely?

Man, I'm getting so nervous about having bought this nanocube. First, the fans are really loud. Then, the tank heats up to 86 degrees (but I think it's because partial sunlight was hitting it -- although the temp went down 2 degrees when I disconnnected the pump) Then I read that 20% of nanocube owners have had their tanks crack (that may be 5.3% for 12G cubes) And then I read about ballast's frying and catching fire! Now this shoddy quality issue of a loose pump hose.

I guess you really *do* get what you pay for :(

Gil, I hear ya. I'm not re-attaching mine until I get one of those clamps from Drs. Foster & Smith. Right now, it's sitting in the main tank with that long green hose sticking out. Looks ugly as hell but it's better than having water spray all over.

Archived