Coral Vue Hydros

What's this...

Cesar

I just found a new creature in my tank. I think it's a sea slug but I want to make sure. It's black. It looks like it has wings actually and it has antenas on it's head. I can post a picture when I get home, but does this sound like a Sea Slug?

Sounds like an elephant sea slug, harmless. (Not a true nudibranch.) It's kinda big, right, like an inch or so? Slit along its back? But if it's tiny, then it may be something else...

Yes it's like an inch and a half. So I guess it's pretty big. Last I saw him, it was on the back glass. Not sure if it was eating algae or something like that, but it was moving down towards the sand.

We actually breed them in our main coral systems. I have yet to catch one doing anything bad- and that's after observing them for over 3 years. They generally come out at night and eat algae off the sides of the tanks.

I've heard that they'll eat soft corals, but I haven't experienced that in my own tank. Mary vouches for them, and she has dealt with more corals than most of us have ever seen. :P

Archived