Cultivated Reef

question on 2x55 PC

ENGINEER

If I have 2x55 PC in a wood canopy 4-5inches above the water surface, will I need a fan? I am in the planning stages for a 29g. I am only planning on low-moderate light corals.

Well hard to say... depends on few things, open backed or ventilated canopy? Average ambient room temp? Remote ballast or ballast mounted in the hood? If it's just the bulbs, and the hood is open-backed and you live in the Oregon area my gut feeling says NO....lol

Buuuuuuut, since you are in the planning stages I would definitely make accomodations to place a fan somewhere instead of finding out you need it and then "how/where" do I put it.

Worst case scenario, avg. ambient room temperature will be 78-80deg in the summer. Right now, lets say 75% of the back will be covered and the rest will be open. Right now, I am planning on mounting the ballast on the back side of the hood.

I use a 2x55 over my 20G and do not have any heat problems. My canopy has an open top covered by egg crate and my lights are 4" above the water. I built a small fan into the back of the canopy but never use it.

I use 2x55 PC along with a 20W NO with no heat problems. Got them in enclosed hood with open back about 5" above the water. I do run them with a partial glass cover (mainly because of the salt spray) and that probably helps with the heat somewhat.

-Ed

That's just about exactly what I'm going to be running on a 29g. Mine has a 2" wide gap in the top of the hood, too. Glad to hear you aren't getting too much heat, even with the partial glass.

Archived