SaltCritters.com

Mystery polyp?

Alexraptor

Well its 2:58 AM, lights are out since long ago, i switched on my tanks blue actinic to take and glimpse for night critters(since the actinic dosent affect inverts alot) and i noticed when looking around a polyp i hadent seen before, it certainly looked like one lonley polyp open sweeping the currents for the nights feeds. at first i thought it might be aiptasia making a comeback so i carefully poked it with the end of my long algae scraper and it instantly in a blink of an eye withdrew compleatly. so the question remains, what is it?

its a too akward angle to get a photo and it only shows up at night, but maybe somone might have an idea of what kind of of polyp this might be?

Could still be Aiptasia, which can retract quite quickly. Or it could have been some kind of feather duster, or even a peanut- or medusa-worm's feeding apparatus... Most polyps actually don't retract quickly--as far as zoos, palys, parazoanthus, etc.

Well, it's impossible to guess with so little info. You need a VERY detailed description or a good photo.

Archived