Cultivated Reef

Tiny critters

NorCalTRD

I don't have any pics which is prolly going to make this difficult but there are these TINY little insects crawling on the glass of my tank. It seems that my Potters angel is eating them but I am not sure and am just wondering what they are. They are extremely small and its hard to tell that they are even moving. I also found one on a snail that had died the other day. Any ideas? They dont really look like something that would be in water... kinda look like aphids now that I think about it... Hmmmmm.

"PODS" - Copepods, mostly, and you'll see some larger ones that look like a C, which are amphipods. Some other tiny misc pods, too. Look it up--they're good for your tank.

I do wonder how people can go ahead and spend $6-8 a pound for who-knows-how-many pounds of live rock without even wondering WHY they're spending eight times as much as for regular/not-live rock. The extra cost is for WHAT makes it LIVE--the pods and all that crazy stuff! (Sure, the bacteria and whatnot, too, but the pods are integral, too!)

No, copepods LOVE to climb around on the glass, especially if it has a bit of green film algae. Amphipods prefer NOT to be on the glass, but instead hide in the rocks.

Archived