ReefCleaners.org

????????

wizegirl

That LR in the compartment 2 will just die if you don't have a light for it(serve no purpose). You need to have a light for the bacteria to stay alive. I just keep the sponges in mine and clean them out once a week. They can turn into nitrate factories if not kept clean.

As far as I know there is no lighting requirements for LR to be LR.

I run only LR rubble in my 29 filter and have no issues at all. I also run nothing but LR rubble in chambers 1 and 2 of my Nano and everything is perfect.

The bacteria in LR is not light dependent and therefore can be kept in the dark for years ... as long as water parameters are kept in check your LR will reamin live there will be no significant coraline growth, but the micro organisms that help with the denitrification will survive!

Originally posted by Reefwick

You need to have a light for the bacteria to stay alive.

Like Jermz79 said, bacteria does NOT need light. It will be fine.

I GOT RID OF THE SPONGE FROM JUMP. THE LIVE ROCK IN THE BACK IS FINE I JUST ASSUME THERE'S CREATURES FOR ALL TYPES OF ENVIROMENTS, LIGHTED OR NOT.

The sponges can actually be ok, if maintenance is kept up! I do a weekly water change of 2 gallons and when I do I take my sponge and swoosh it around in the water I pulled out, get's the nasties out of it but keeps the beneficial bacteria alive. Some people rinse them in freshwater, but I don't think that's good for the bacteria that collects in there!

Here is my setup ...

I run the cassette mod (waiting for NanoBob to catch up)

in Chamber 1 I have LR rubble in the bottom and a sponge on top

in chamber 2 I have LR rubble

in Chamber 3 bag of chemipure and a minijet 606

My tank seems to be doing good.

Just the MiniJet.

I don't see how people are putting Maxijet 1200's in these little cubes! With my MiniJet 606 the current in the tank is strong ... I couldn't imagine having a 1200 in there!!!!

I would ditch the sponges unless you are completely cleaning/drying them every week. The bacteria living in a dirty sponge can deoxygenate the water significantly just before the water hits your live rock in chamber 2. Currently I put a sponge in for just an hour or two when I am stirring up substrate gunge on cleaning day. The rest of the time I run with no sponge. Rinsing out a long ignored sponge can cause a mini-cyle.

Sponges arent to bad if you clean them often.. i clean mine with every weekly water change..there are actully some kinds of bacteria that help to break down nitrates and organics..also if i were you i would get rid of the carbon.. it pulls out needed trace elements from the water.. try getting something like sea gel or Renew.. it does the same job as carbon.. but wont remove trace elements..

audiocontrol
Originally posted by Jermz79

Just the MiniJet.

I don't see how people are putting Maxijet 1200's in these little cubes! With my MiniJet 606 the current in the tank is strong ... I couldn't imagine having a 1200 in there!!!!

It's not easy putting a maxijet in there, especially when you also have a minijet 606 in the same chamber becuase you have live rock and sponges in the other 3 chambers, LOL! Believe me...The more current in a tank, the better. Suspends the filth on rocks, inhibits algae growth to an extent, aids in coral reproduction by creating stimuli. It is beneficial just as long as the current is not "full blast" on a coral.

Archived