Pod Your Reef

Overflow help!!!!!!

Ike

Hey everyone,

I'm in the precess of setting up a 15 gallon nano with a 10 gallon sump.

Just ordered my lights from AH Supply, got the 2x55 watt bright kit with a 10,000K and an actinic.

Everything is slowly coming together, but I've run into one problem.

I want to use a built-in overflow with a durso to cut down on the noise, but I can't find anyone who can drill a hole in the glass.

I was planning on installing a 1" to 1.25" bulkhead.

I really don't want to use a hang-on overflow.

Does ANYONE know where I can get my tank drilled in Northern NJ?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW...This site is amazing!!!!!

Thanks,

Stuart

Try automotive Glass shops or Window glass companies or Glass furnature repair shops. It mught take some leg work, but there are places, you just have to find them. Ya will probaly have to sign a waver saying that if they bust the glass, you cant hold them accountable. FWIW, Buy a good diamond glass cutting hole bit, and bring it with you. You will get better results.

You can also look inthe DIY section here. (Tasha I believe) posted a thread on Drilling custom glass.

HTH.

Another thought, You could always call All-Glass and order one dirrect.

IF on the off chance they do break it they can cut the broken piece out and cut a new one and glue it in AFTER they have drilled it. Most of the time if it breaks it is from not being backed up IE there is a gap between the glass and the support. A friend had this happen and the shop cut the new glass and glued it in for him and it ended up costing him $20 all total, not bad when you consider the drilling is $14..... but like Dave says you maybe best just to order the tank drilled already.

some lfs will do it or are associated with glass companies that can do it (no guarantees usually tho).

underwater world in roselle park will guarantee it but i think you may have to buy the tank from him. ??? he may drill yours (if it's a common brand) and just charge a little more, i dunno. he's cool, ask him. he's done two tanks for me so far. last one was a 15H btw.

usually it's the sole proprietors that do that stuff (they don't trust anyone else : ). ely's in hanover (?-off rt. 287) is the only other guy in the same category of experience imo but he's fw (i dunno if he even drills).

Archived