Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My nanocube's glass is warped!

rbdesigns

I bought a nano cube despite people's pleas not to do so. It is a 12 gallon dx and the first one had was scratched next to the curve. After having the LFS replace, I checked it and didn't find anything wrong with it. Today I finally took it out of the box and set it on the stand. With the sun's glare I can now see that the glass is warped from the inside. At first I thought it was dirty, but when I run my fingers on it, I can feel the dent. I dent is located three quarters down on the curve. Is it safe to use it?

shao-lin nano

Could pose a problem. If you have a really cool LFS then I'd suggest replacing it again. Better safe than sorry. When I got my new 24g NC it had a 1 inch scratch on front (outside) but I've learned to live with it....you'll most likely never find a "flawless" NanoCube. Dont lose faith on this tank, it's still one cool setup.

My 24g nanocube glass is warped as well. I did not notice it until it was setup. But as you move along the glass, the images inside the tank are distorted (like putting on a thick set of glasses!) in some areas indicating it is warped in some way. I have not had any issue yet with mine, but I would take shao-lin's advice and try to exchange.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys, Shao-lin........what kind of scrathes did you have or do you have on your cube? Mine is a 24 gallon, just got it 5 days ago and have noticed scrathes on the outside of the tank about 5 inches long in two places. Both on the right side of the tank while looking at the tank from behind. No water is leaking or anything, just worried about it now after reading treeads on here. Please let me know how your NC is doing! This is my first SW setup and don't want to lose 24 g's of water on the floor! Thanks again. Tim K.

shao-lin nano

The scratches are superficial. They look like someone took something sharp and hard and scratched the surface of the face. Mine is a little less than an inch long. 5 inches is big. Can you trad it for another?

Superificial scratches are still a risk, despite it not seeming to be the case. The 30G Oceanic is a solid and thick tank. If I could swap up, that would be my choice. The 24G, no matter what is posted, does NOT have a proven long term track record. We ALL own one at our own risk. SH

Hi there Shao and steelhealr....thanks for the advice. I'm going to change it out anyway, Steve and JBJ said not a problem. Thanks guys! Tim K.

I ended up keeping my tank, I haven't had any problem with it. Though I worry when I am at work, hoping not to come home to a broken tank.

Archived