Innovative Marine Aquariums

White growth on Clownfish fin

bravocms

I noticed a small, white growth of some sort on my clownfish's bottom fin a few days ago. It's not a spot, like ich. It's more like something that has clung onto his fin, maybe a parasite? It seems to be getting a little bigger. I'm not sure if the fish is swimming erratically or not, as he always darted quickly around the aquarium. I've only had him for about a week. I took some pics, but I couldn't get them into this message. I tried to attach it and kept getting a message that it was too big. Any help with identifying this and how to treat it would be appreciated. Also, help with how to put my pic on the web so I can add it here would be appreciated. Thanks!

sounds like a viral infection. it's been more common in TR clowns recently.

upload your pic at photobucket.com or tinypic.com. copy and paste the "url" into your post and it should come up. tinypic.com resized the pics for you, so it shouldnt be too big for n-r.

Six...Thanks for the help with the picture. Hopefully the link I included here will work! The picture is really out of focus. Sorry about that....it was the best I could do.

zoos....No, this fish is not in quarantine. I don't have a quarantine tank. I had one in the past, but it didn't seem to help the fish much to put them in there for treatment (they still died), and all other fish in the regular tank didn't get sick. It was a 10 gallon tank with a little substrate and a basic filter system. How do you have yours set up?

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=a31ana

My fish had the same thing, I can't remember what it was called but it looks like cotton doesn't it? You can do a freshwater dip, try to pull it off or rub it off with tweasers, or you can do the easiest thing and take it back to the LFS and tell them it was there when you bought it but it was so small you didn't think anything of it and it just got bigger. It probably was there when you bought it anyway and didn't notice. That's what happened to me. LFS exchanged it for me. Of course I called first to make sure they would take it before I took him out of the tank. Some say they fight the disease of on their own and just wait it out but I wouldn't take the chance. If the fish dies let the LFS eat the 20-30$.

I would be thinking Brooklynella or Amyloodinium. There are other possibilities, but these two would head the list. If there is a local vet that likes fish you might consider a fin clip and a peek at 10X.

Brooklynella is often treated with formalin, the Amyloodinium will respond to chloroquine. Some folks have reported success with FW dips, but you will not likely get rid of it completely.

Google for either organism - there a lots of websites out there, though they basically recycle the same info.

Keith

Thanks for all of your replies! I truly appreciate it! I did try a freshwater dip and I tried to get the growth off with tweasers, but I wasn't able to. I didn't pull at it too hard because I didn't want to hurt the fish. I will read some info and maybe try removing it again. I ordered the fish online, so I will contact them and check their return policy again. Thanks, again, for all the help! I'll let you know what I find out.

Archived