ReefCleaners.org

Copper Questions

FamousGuy

how easy is it to get copper in your tank?  I handle money quite often so i'm always paranoid the pennys are gonna taint my hand and ill reach in my tank (forgetting to wash my hands) and the tank will croak....also i have a soft water heater outside of my window with copper pipes, about 3-4 feet away from my tank, i know its a longshot but could that spread through the air over time into my tank?  when people use copper medication how much do they stick in the aquarium, barely any or entire bottles?

the copper from the pipes is a long shot. it is also most likely not going to harm your tank from your hands but id be careful. when you dose a tank(dont do it in a nano or any otehr reef) you dose a fairly small amount. in a nano the smallest amount could kill everything really. i would be careful about your hands, although i do not think it will cause problems i would make sure you washed your hands.

I would worry more about the copper pipes in your house if you dont buy water or have a RO/DI. There isn't all that much copper in penny's anymore anyway it just looks like al copper. As for the pipes That is really not even a consideration. Wash your hands anyway just from all the human junk you got on there :)

Toy

we actually have an ro unit in the house but it holds a really small amount of water in the reservoir so i don't bother using it(it would take forever to get a gallon out of it, i've been going to the glacier machine at the store

Archived