inTank Media Baskets

Clicking and ticking after lights out!

xsamx

I think I may have some kinda pest in my tank. Not long after lights out, I hear loud clicking noises... The only possibilities I can think of are a pistol shrimp or a mantis. Are there any other creatures that make clicking noises? If so, what are they? I haven’t seen any signs of a mantis, so that’s a relief. What could it be?

Pistol shrimp and Mantis shrimp "Signs" are one in the same.

IE snails and crabs with holes in there shells and dead crabs and snails with hole sin there shells.

It is more than likely a pistol shrimp.

I bet if you look behid your rock work you will see some empty shells with hole sin the side. ;)

if you catch him and he is a cool looking mantis shrimp, i might buy him from you, my hi-fin red banded goby needs a friend.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have 30 or so indo popper (1-1 1/2" pistol shrimp) came in some indo live rock. i haven't had a death in the tank due to a pistol, thus far.

my poppers are very bashful. try searching your tank at night with a small maglight/flashlight. the pistol shrimp eyes reflect light. watch for falling rock, and or 2 antenna, all my poppers live inside the lr, and have 2 or 3 exits to thier home. hth

Archived