inTank Media Baskets

Hey Look What I Found...

BigBlue

congrats?

LOL.

is that a newly aquired coral? you should tell people in the vendor forum if it's from a business becasue that means their whole stock is likely infected.

You definetly have red bugs. I just found some on my SPS and have already done my first treatment of Interceptor. The second is coming tomorrow.

It is amazing how TINY these bugs are. I could not see them on my Tort until I took a Macro pic and zoomed in like 300%. Get rid of them now before they spread.

Here is a pic of mine.

Bob

Tort2.jpg

Dang...

I've heard that pipefish like to eat red bugs. Although they don't like lots of flow...

I actually treated a couple months ago and never did the 2nd treatment (like a dumb*ss) so I'm not suprised. Every couple of weeks I move them down to front of the tank so I can press my face on the glass and look, this if the first time I've seen them return.

Bob - I did the same as you and took pics and enlarged the crap out of them to see the little fookers.

Six - I got that frag off a local reefer. He and I trade back and forth alot and asked me to take his colony since it wasn't doing to well in his tank, and guess why :) So I got them from him. Luckily his wife works in the parasitology lab at the local veterinary school and can get Interceptor real easy.

Once I dig all the hermits out I'll treat - I don't want to nuke all the poor little crabs.

~chris

Interceptor for little red coral bugs? Thats news to me...although its great against heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms....I guess you learn something new every day :) Just one question, how do you get the coral to take the chewable tablet? I know, it prob dissolves,right? Interesting...

LOL, it's a booger to get them to take those tabs.

Interceptor was found to kill these little guys a while back. Apparently Milbemycin Oxime kills select arthropods and Nematodes and red bugs are one of those select arthropods.

I just take a 1/8 of a table and dissolve in water and add to the tank. After 6 hours do a ~25% water change and add a ton of carbon to pull it out.

FYI - it'll also kill alot of crustaceans so I pull out as many hermit crabs as I can find.

Here's a link to the origin AFAIK.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

~chris

I just did my 2nd treatment today. I've lost 2 small hermits so far.

The Skunk Shrimp and everything else seems fine.

Bob

Why don't you just take out the shrimp and whatnot just to be sure? Put 'em in a, well, I guess a non-QT tank, heh.

Originally posted by Caesar777

Why don't you just take out the shrimp and whatnot just to be sure? Put 'em in a, well, I guess a non-QT tank, heh.

Because it is not for certain if the bugs might be living on the Crabs, Schrimp, etc. So you might be introducing the bugs back into the tank after the treatment if you take them out temporarily.

Bob

I treated yesterday and the cleaner shrimp was fine. I'll do another treatment in a week or so. Porcelain crabs don't seem to be affected either IME.

~chris

Archived