inTank Media Baskets

Reddish Algae

Frank83

I have some coppery-red algae that just started growing on the walls of my 5.5...I'm running 15 watts with just live rock and sand and some red hermit crabs. Anyone know what it is and what I should put in there to eat it? It's not that bad right now, but it looks like it's going to spread pretty fast.

Got any pics of a description of its texture? How does it feel when you touch it? What does it taste like? Chicken? (just kidding)

More than likely Cyano red slime algae if it is velvety and grows in stringy sheets.

Nusance algae. Turbo snails , astrea snails, Myracyn tablets, hermits, cerith snails, vibex snails, and nassarius snails will eat it.

I just put some astrea snails in earlier today and they are eating it. I guess I don't care what it is, as long as it's gone. Thanks for the replies.

most animals dont eat cyanobacteria. it's a bacteria colonization... not actually a plant. you should actually give it a hug if it is cyanobacteria... they are millions of years old and have produced oxygen for us. I LOVE YOU CYANO :)

Archived