Top Shelf Aquatics

hunting for new aquarium

chodaboy

I'm looking for a new aquarium and I found an add for this one, Is it a good deal or not? anyone know?

AQUARIUM

55 gal with oak cabinet, 2 filter systems, heater, gravel, misc items $300 obo

New or used? Drilled? Reef ready? And have you seen it? Usually when I see an ad around here for a tank with cabinet, the cabinet looks like it went through Viet Nam.

printerdown01

I sold a 55 gallon reef tank, with lights, skimmer, stand, cannopy (1 yr old cannopy), wet/dry over flow, sump, over flow protection tank, LR, LS, corals and fish for $350.00.... BUT that was because I was desperate to sell it. If you are looking at creating a reef tank your best bet is buying a used tank! They are often availible, look on-line and in your local papers!!

Yeah, I'm looking to set up a reef tank, I've been looking at new ones, but haven't seen anything I like. I'm new at this and just wanted some opinions of people who might know what they are talking about.

what you need to do is find out what type of filtrtion and that sort of thing..what lighting is included....what the etc. are. that way you know what you are getting. the filters and such might not even be useful in a reef tank so it all depends. sounds like it might be a good deal.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used tank you just don't know how old it is, how many times it has been moved etc... A new tank etc will cost you $$$ for sure but in the long run it may be worth it. IF you buy a used tank ask to see it up and running, don't buy it dry. If the tank has lots of tiny bubbles in it when you see it then you know it was just filled with water, look at every piece of equipment and make sure it is all working, check the temp of the tank and look at the heater, make sure the temp is good and the heater shuts off.

Archived