ReefCleaners.org

What to put in sump

MikeTa

Is a 40 gallon tank still considered a nano? I hope it is.....I currently have a 40 gallon tank setup with mainly soft corals. Its been running for about 2 years now. I never really had the chance to put in a sump because of my stand. About a week ago, a friend of mine gave me his stand that fit perfectly, with holes drilled in the back, and also with cabinets that will allow a sump to fit inside. Not a big one, but a pretty good sized one.

I also have a 12 (or 15?) gallon glass tank lying somewhere in my garage which used to be a FW tank. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure how everything works (overflow, plumbing, pumps, etc.). Im planning on hanging my Remora in there plus putting my heater and stuff in there. Would the tank make a good sump? What else should I put in there? Another question: I'm plannin on using a filter/debris bag. What do you guys think of them?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Not a nano...So go away! ;) j/k, man. Not a nano, but that's okay.

Don't use sponge, "filter floss", or any other "media" in there, as it'll just create nitrates. I'd put in a bag of carbon and resin (Chemi-Pure [not Chemi-Clean, that's something else--they do get confused], Purigen, etc.), live rock, sand (maybe even a DSB, your choice--just don't disturb it), and chaetomorpha macroalgae. The latter is great for helping take nitrates and what-not out of the water, and it's a great breeding ground for all kinds of pods and shrimps.

Archived