Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opinion on setup

Duce

OK...after couple of posts...this is what I decided....Just want some opinion on the setup and equipment.

It will be mainly a SPS (acro's etc) + Clam Tank (shroom grow out)

10G Tank

2 X 55W PC

An Eheim canister filter w/ surface extractor (Should I put anything in the canister)

A small maxijet PH hook up to a timer

10-12LBS of LR

1 to 1-1/2" of fine sand.

Sounds good to me. I would add a few pounds of live sand to that list to help seed your sand bed. I am assuming the "fine sand" wasn't live stuff.

Cameron

The sand will be fine CarbiSea Argonite sand (Fiji Pink) and will be seeded with LS from my 72G Reef....

Yes I do understand the 55W PC will be bigger than my tank....

I am thinking of building a frame that goes around the bottom of my tank so that when the hood goes on it won't look so funny....I am going to the store and measure how wide a 20G stand is (vs the 10G stand) to compensate for the base....

The ballast kit I am thinking of using is the E-Z ballast kit from coral life....

How many inches of sand? Sand that fine will become anaerobic at less of a depth than sand with larger grain. The depth I have heard for an oolitic substrate is one inch.

maybe if it is a very large grain size. most sands will become anaerobic after four inches. this is really bad and from what I have read will eventually crash the tank.

Sounds Good to me. Geez thats a lot of lot for a 10 gallon, over here without pcs and not much choice in lighting I wouldnt be able to get that much unless I went MH. But it does sound good to me

Cheers Fishobob:P

maybe if it is a very large grain size. most sands will become anaerobic after four inches. this is really bad and from what I have read will eventually crash the tank.

? you do know that the bacteria responsible for breaking down nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas are ANAEROBIC ?

Now whether or not there is enough acreage in a nano for this to be accomplished is and prolly always will be debated.... I've gone both ways and saw no difference.... harvesting macro's and Xenia even along with water changes removes more nitrates than any nano-sized DSB.... ahem, in my opinion.

I was under the impression that the bacteria that breaks down nitratesin anoxic. anoxic is a very small amount of oxygen. If anyone has a diffinative answer please chime in.

Archived