Coral Vue Hydros

DSB & LR in a Nano?

Surfer

I was just wondering if anyone here has a nano that their DSB and LR were sufficient enough to completely remove ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. I have a 5.5 set up with 10 lbs of LR and a 3" Aragonite sand bed. All of which (including the water) came from an established aquarium. It has been up for over a week now with no traces of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. The only inhabitants are three feather dusters, three astrea snails, two hermits, and a perc. clown. No skimmer, just two PH's pushing about 100 gph together.

Just wondering?

Thanks,

Surf

Not so sure....

I remember reading a post in reefcentral where a nano reefer asked dr. ron if it was a good idea to use a dsb in a small tank. He basically replied that for a DSB to be effective, you need a certain amount of surface area, depth, and water flow I believe that the smallest yet working DSB is 4 inches of depth in a 55 gallon tank (but dont quote me on that).

Yeah.. Dr.Ron is the Great OZ.

He know all.

:

Read some threads here. RC is a bunch of ninnies who jack ###### about little tanks.

Many of us have sandbedt tht function just as good as theirs in a large +gallon tank but are 3 inches max.

This has been covered here and will still be a "hot Button debate"

i never understood the resistance from some of the other forums and peeps in using dsb's in nanos while at the same time using dsb's in their 20g sumps/refugiums for their 100g+ show tanks. the extra water volume allowed the dsb's to function? ???

i'm not a dsb advocate but i recognize their effectiveness (for a period of time : ) and they look kinda cool. B)

Dont get me wrong, I dont just accept a persons theory to be true just because they say so. I am just reciting what I remember him saying about this subject. Still, I havent gone through the thousands of hours and researching on this topic, I dont know any better, so I just referred to what someone (Dr. Ron) said, who seems to be quite knowledgable on this subject.

Do what you please, it makes no difference to me, I was just trying to help out. (no offence to anyone).

auron

Dr Ron said this about DSB's and surface area.....

"My guess is that a tank would need dimensions on the order of about 150 square inches to be useful as nutrient recycler. This depends on the nutrient load of the tank as well as upon the infauna, etc. "

side.gif

auron,

i took no offense. dsb's, light's, dosings, etc. are just touchy subjects. i just wanted to point out a (hypocritical imo) stance regarding nanos and dsb's while employing dsb's in sumps. (and chum the waters as well :P )

i like to say most things are optional to the individual reefer. the only mandatory issue is salt (but which brand? ??? )

Archived