Cultivated Reef

dorment sps on lr starting to grow?

jstone624

I noticed this previously on my lr, but within the past 2 weeks it seems to be getting bigger and brighter (compared with older photos I had taken of the lr). Before about 3 weeks ago all I had lighting my 29g was an 18w NO, Now I use a 192w coralife aqualight PC. Could this have been some dorment SPS on the lr since purchase, "awakened" by the more intense light?

unknow2.JPG

unknow1.JPG

Sponge more than likely. see the red on behind it? More than likely the same species. They like dark areas and bleach out in bright lighting.

Yup, sponges or tunicates. The white isn't bleached sponge, though; it's another type.

lol. So I have a ton of these "sponges" all over my lr, could they be the Gelloides fibulatus (yeah, google that one)? I want to "leave them be" good idea or should I halve the population and scrape some off my lr.

"The white isn't bleached sponge"

Yes it is. Thats is what this species on encrusting sponge does when it gets too much light.

Back me up Yosh'.

So overall are they good or bad for water quality and health of my tank, should I pick them of my lr? I've read most of the articles at wetwebmedia, and the like and still haven't gotten a real jist of what to think of them. Basicly the are just simple animals that act like water pumps (sea squirts) and filters. I know they're not a very popular item to be sold, is it for the fact they are not very "exciting" or "fun" to look at?

They have no real effect for the good or bad on your water quality.

Unless you tank is nothing but these litle sponges.

Archived