Cultivated Reef

What Kind of algae are these?

FreakShow

So I have some algae starting to coat my BB and some patches on the LR, nothing special, run of the mill stuffg in a young tank. The Astrea and Emerald Crab seem to be working it, but I lost two Astrea since I put four in the tank. Two just can't seem to keep up. I will be adding some Cerith as soon as I can get my hands on some.

I noticed these patches on some LR:

47b5d911b3127cce93723ddc3eca00000016108JcuWjdi4Y

Algea one looks like little trees with a main stem and then branches.

Algea two sees to be a "grassy knoll" or tuft of straight grass. I have not seen either appear anywhere else in the tank. I just find them interesting, until they take over the tank that is...

What are they?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

#1 Bryopsis- Many times referred to as Sea Ferns, these soft, feathery, light to dark green hairlike alga grow in clumps and are usually introduced into an aquarium on live rock.

#2 Chaetomorpha - Can grow as brushlike tufts with fine erect hairlike filaments, or as vast mosslike masses. They can overgrow everything, choking out the light and water circulation that corals, other algae and tank inhabitants need to survive. Use standard control methods

i think, lol. #2 could be Cladophora

Chaetomorphs is spaggetti like. It's not one that grows attached to a surface either. #2 looks like bryopsis, but it's small feahtered, so you cant really see it from the pic.

#1 looks like some kind or caulerpa, but may be something else. maybe another form/species of bryopsis...

#2 is definitly something worth getting rid of... aka "hair algae". #1 looks kinda cool, lol.

make sure youre dosing with calcium, or at least a pH/alkalinity buffer to get the coralline growing. that's the good algae.

GL

#2 definately HAIR ALGAE and NOT CHAETO MORPHA. Chaeto FLoats and grows in stems with small round leaves and thousands of branches.

#1 is feather calurpa.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

there are a few different types of chaeto, some of which attach themselfs to rocks and sand. not all chaeto is free floating.

(however im not saying im correct about #2s identification)

as for the byproosis- i love mine, i have a few clumps in my display. if it gets out of hand, its easily removed. just grab it an pull, its quite strong.

Archived