inTank Media Baskets

this ones gonna be tough-crappy pic

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have this worm of somesort on the dark side of my lr. i think its a worm, as you can see in the pic, its very hard to see.(under 50lbs of rock) it hasnt moved, but it does retract into the rock.

it looks like a worm with a wool pom-pom on the end of it. its not a ring of feathers like a feather duster/tube worm. like i said it looks more like a pom-pom on a winter hat. its growing, and i have two of them growing. so im assuming thier not light dependant (both are in very dark places)

any ideas?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sometimes the body of the worm extends 1" below the rock, sometimes its flush with the rock. i guess what im getting at, is this creature is not in a tube like a feater duster. just a hole in the rock. it retracts into the rock much like a peanut worm(folds in on itself.the pom pom disapears before the worm retracts into the rock)sometimes it looks like a 1" worm -no pom pom, othertimes, its not there, im almost positive its not a feather duster.

The picture looks like aiptasia (not a worm), they prefer darkness and retract into holes just as you are describing. Do a search on aiptasia for pics.

Your description does sound like a coco worm somewhat... But the picture does not look like a coco worm at all.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

not an xmas tree worm/coco worm.

most sea critters (ie tube worms,aptasia,aneomies,etc)i can think of, seem to have a ring of tenticals around the mouth)

this doesnt seem to be that way. as best as i can tell, there are tenticals where i would expect the mouth to be. thats the reasoning for pom-pom discription. the coco worm being about the closest.

however, if it where a coco/feather duster, it wouldnt expose 1" of its body to the water, just the featers.

i know, a needle in a hay stack, but thanks for tring guys, i appreciate it.

)

Peanut worm's mouth? But it hasn't moved from that spot? Hmm... Time to buy a magnifying lens. :P

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

ok so what do ya think caesar? heres 2 pics of 2 worms/dusters i found in another part of the tank. as you can see in the pics, the worm in question has the ability to retract its feathers into the tube, and then the tube retracts like a peanut worm. there all in the same rock. and dont leave thier holes. sometimes its just the feathers you see, other times i can see 1 1/2" of the worm.

see im not crazy.lol i have never come across a feather duster that can retract its tube.

Archived