Pod Your Reef

ID these corals plz.

Alexraptor

Well today i went for a 2 hour drive to the nearest LFS, picked up a few fish and purchased a brain coral, however the guy was nice and let me have a couple of frags small frags for free.

so here are two of them, any idea of what they are? the branched one is semi soft so im guessing its a leather coral of some kind, the other one was part of what looked like a large plate, alltho the edges are white and it seems that this one might have been attacked by other corals that have eaten away.

but the universal question, what are they?

second coral

a side question also, how far can Brain's extend their sweepers? ive put the coral as far away from the others as i could

"MOST" Brains only have short sweepers but some do produce onger sweepers. What spiecies is the brain in question? Or is that the question as well?

BTW the 1st pic is a finger leather aka devils hand.

but do brains only attack corals that are in contact or in very close proximity? cause ive seen pics with corals very close to brains but remain untouched

shaggydoo541

Again it depends on the type of brain. I have a large red open brain thats tentacles are extremely short and are only good for catching food. My pineapple brain on the other hand has put out some massive stingers especially if it comes in contact w/ any other coral. It had a mushroom on the rock I bought it on. It grew and surrounded the mushroom and every morning the polyps around the shroom had gigantic sweepers out while the other polyps didn't have any. Pretty soon the shroom withered and died and the brain has since grow over where the shroom used to be.

1st one is closed, so it's hard to tell, but if I had to guess I'd say it's what we call speckled leather. The second one looks like Hydnophora exesa.

Yeah it sort of looks Like exesa but I think it will be a pavona.

Hard to tell with that fuzzy pic. try to get a clearer pic and a little farther away sowe can get a relative size idea.

Confirmed, its a Hydnopora Exesa

From liveaquaria.com

Hydnophora sp. corals have the ability to swell their tissue, giving the coral an inflated and fuzzy appearance.

Last night i didnt notice anything special , but i was just in now and turned on the blue actinic ligth and indeed, it was inflated :)

Sweet! But whatch out they are SERIOUSLY DEADLY TO ALL OTHER CORALS.

They do not produce sweepers but do pack a deadly sting to most anything they touch.

dang one of my crabs knocked the leather down ontop of it, alltho the leather coral is still flourescing so im guessing it survived

Archived