SaltCritters.com

my first failure :(

thegr8tdane

thegr8tdane

Hi everyone.

I let my wife pick things out at the lfs cause it keeps her involved. Anyhow against my warnings she insisted that we get a few things that I would not have gotten. Anyhow here's what happened.

I had 3 fish in a 10. Firefish gobie, blue devil, and false perc. Then we got a BTA and just a few days ago she wanted a fire anenme and a large feather duster.

Well the fire anenme has traveled from the middle of the tank to the side the bta is on and now I think they are going to start stinging each other. Normally the firefish likes to hide by the bta's foot. The clown isn't hosting but the firefish and the bta are kinda cute. So I put in this fire anenme and I think it freaked out the bta and mistakingly the bta stung the firefish and blue devil to death. And the stupid star polyps attached themselfs to the head of my large feather duster and then ripped it's head off. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

So anyhow any advice? Prolly not much to give, I was just sharring so no one else listens to their wives...Will the 2 anenmes kill each other? I can't move the fire anenme he's held there pretty good. Thanks

thegr8tdane

Oh I forgot,

So I took the camel back shrimp to the lfs thinking that it was killing my red and blu hermits (mostly red ones are dying) since then I've lost 1 red and 1 blue. So there is nothing in there to kill em cept each other which I have witnessed. They have like 40 different shells that I bought buy a shell store by my beach. AGGGGGGGGG!

thegr8tdane

So the lfs says that the 2 anenmes will not kill each other.

And that the bta finally just nailed the firefish.

He suggested another perc. I dunno about that cause my perc has been in there for a month and still real little but adding another they might not get along...right?

I'm pretty annoyed by everything so I'm not adding anything for a long while.

make sure you are matching the salinity when you do water changes.  this could be killing your crabs.  it does suk to have to decide what to get and what not to.  that's why i have 2 tanks now and want another.  sounds like the wife needs her own tank...

it's kinda a mystery to me too.  seems like i had better success with crabs when i had fish only.  

(off subject) dane i dont know if you saw my other post but did you see those weird hermit crabs at tats that have shells that look like finger leathers?  do you know what those were?

wulffenstein

are some of you guys in the ventura co. (thousand oaks area?).  It sounds that way.  TAT is an O.K. LFS.  There prices are a little high and the people don't always know what their talking about.  I ask one of the guys what they kept their salinity at and he told me they vary it like it does in the wild.  LOL  I decided I would buy very few things from there.  Although recently they have set up a SPS tank.  It seems most of the coral selection is going that way.

I just purchased a staghorn hermit.  Got him in Woodland Hills (Aquarium City - great LFS).  He was $9.99.  I couldn't pass him up.  

I would be interested in trading frags.  I don't have anything at the moment but I will have in a few months.  Let me know.

thegr8tdane

So any advice on the tank anyone. :)

and yeah I saw them.

(Edited by thegr8tdane at 2:18 pm on June 2, 2002)

yeah i'm in the area, to the north (SB).  I noticed tats was a little expensive, i went thinking it would be cheap cuz the prices in sb are ridiculous but it was the same.  They had a mushroom rock with mostly purple and a couple green striped=like 80 bucks.  It was pretty big (about like a cantelope) but still,  I hear other people on here saying they can get shrooms for next to nothing at their lfs.  I went to the petco across from tats to see if the stories were true...and they were lol

I think you should get rid of the anenomes and show her some torch coral, they look better imo and wont wander around the tank beating everything down.  Maybe a frogspawn.  You're lucky shes interested, my girlfriend gets all ####ed when I want to go to the lfs, lol.  Oh yeah the only thing my girlfriend has even remotely liked so far was a coral banded shrimp, and naturally he died after his first molt so now shes back to hating on my tank.

Quote: from FamousGuy on 5:00 am on June 2, 2002[br]I think you should get rid of the anenomes and show her some torch coral, they look better imo and wont wander around the tank beating everything down.  Maybe a frogspawn.  You're lucky shes interested, my girlfriend gets all ####ed when I want to go to the lfs, lol.  Oh yeah the only thing my girlfriend has even remotely liked so far was a coral banded shrimp, and naturally he died after his first molt so now shes back to hating on my tank.

Ditch the girlfriend and buy yourself a 240 gallon reef tank. :)  

lol...shes gonna throw my tank out the window if we ever live together.  Maybe i should do what dane did, and let her pick something.  If she wants something bad i'll just lie and say its freshwater or something

my gf comes to the lfs sometimes but i'd be crazy to let her flat out pick something for my tank!  unless your gf is pretty stupid you might insult her intelligence telling her something is freshwater when it's in a tank next to something that's obviously saltwater :)  a better excuse might be, "that's a terrible price for that, sweetie!"  she'll think you're being concientious rather than trying to get out of buying something that will destroy your reef.

fishymissy

Theg8dane, best bet is to get your wife a tank of her own!

Hate to say this but there is a good chance the anemones will fight....is there any way to take the anemones back to the store? Sounds like your hermits are fighting too. Even with all the extra shells for some reason hermits can end up wanting only the shell the other one has.

Your LFS is right though when they say the best thing to get your clown is another clown....much better and easier to keep than any anemone!!! If the clown you already have is small, then it's best to get one larger....more likely it will be a female then, and the one you already have will stay a male. Maybe they'll even breed!

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your tank. No fun when stuff like that happens.....

thegr8tdane

HA HA HA yeah I let her walk all over me. She gets really excited actually when she sees something cool at the lfs I just don't want to tell her no. She doesn't abuse her cute pouting powers, I'm just a big softie. Ahhh.

Anyhow, thank you fishymissy for your reply I was thinking the same thing about the clown and you made me feel better that I wasnt doing something wrong with the crabs. Cause I was stressing, like "I can't even keep my crabs alive :( " ya know? And when all that other stuff happened I was really discouraged. But now I'll pair the clowns, thats somehting to look forward too. Silver lightining and all.

Archived