Top Shelf Aquatics

My clowns aren't acting normal

Capt'n T

I did a quick search and I am sure there is a thread that would explain the situation but I am a little freaked out about my clowns. I came home from work this morning and both of my true percs were floating at the surface of the tank. They weren't completely on their side but mostly. I tested my water and ammon was 0.1/trites were 0.1/trates were 5/and phosphates were between .05 and 1. All params have been 0's for a couple of weeks now except phosphates which always run about 0.5. They were acting kind of sluggish so I did about 40% water change, completely tore down all my LR and siphon out as much debris as I could.. don't know if this is right wrong or indifferent...but is that behavior normal for clowns or is there something else wrong...Any and all comments would be greatly appriciated.

That's what I was going to say also. Make sure not to add anything like amquel. My ammonia spiked and I was too lazy to do a water change and I just poured the amquel. It ate up all the oxygen and in the middle of the night my clowns were floating at the surface and almost died on me because of it.

They are swimming better now, but they aren't very interested in eating they'll take a few nips at the brine but not with the gusto they did yesterday.

well give em time if they look better i bet they are on the wa to recovery. but you need to feed them better than brine, get some marine flakes brine has no nutrional value

I have something call life line that the LFS gave me I usually feed that as their staple and the brine as supplemental. Thank you so much for taking the time to help out I am still new and my system is only a couple months old I am easily freaked out still. Thanks again.

Yea I'v gone through it all, I found that when you get real stressed and add thigns to the tank to help a situation it usualy hurts it, EX amquel, so a good WC and let it be and most of the time things will do ok. I dont think that corals/fish/inverts are near as sinsitive as we like to think, we just over analyze things. Well good luck hope they do well let me know.

-greg

I've heard that clowns just "swim funny" sometimes. Look up the thread "clowns acting funny".

sounds totally normal. mine sleep against the filter box at night. in a community tank at one point, they simulated silicone sealant 24/7.

clowns are wierdos. I really wouldnt worry about them as long as they eat well and active at feeding time. sometimes wild clowns will still act like they are hosting in an anemone even though they dont need one, and there isnt one present. i am not saying to get them a host, but explaining why they are staying in one spot and bobbing or laying fairly motionless.

Just wanted to let you guys know my clowns are coming around. They are zippin around like they usually do and are showing more interest in eating (whew). I just wanted to say thank you again for all the support.

Archived