Coral Vue Hydros

Heya :)

RVMcCarthy

Hey all. Just found these boards through a link on the WWM forums.

Guess I'll introduce myself. :)

I'm in Sacramento, CA. If anyone close has some coral frags I'll take 'em off your hands. :P

I'm personally new to the hobby of reefkeeping, though my father has been doing it for 6 years now and I've been keeping freshwater all of my life. Of course, the natural beauty of the reef system drew me in, so here I am!

I didn't realize my tank would be considered a nano-reef. I guess part of my introduction could be to describe my current set-up.

20 gallon long glass tank

CPR BakPak2 skimmer with biobale staying in until I get my sump

2x 55 watt PC, 1 10k, 1 actinic blue

35ish or so lbs. of Fiji LR.

40lbs of fine aragonite LS

Reef crystals salt

1 juvenile Premnas biculeatus, gold banded maroon clown

1 splittail dartfish (dunno latin toxonomy for it)

1 spotted mandarin (forgot latin toxonomy for it hehe)

2 blue-legged hermits, 3 unidentified but apparently friendly hermits (came with my blue legs)

8 snails, 2 are astrea, 1 is a turbo, and the other 5 were coined as "pyramid" snails...

1 sand star

*edit*

Forgot to add I have a common cleaner shrimp, Lysmata sp. as well.

I wish I had gone with a larger setup, but when I bought this I thought it would be considered a small or mini-reef. I've got some corals and stuff growing, most of which is unidentified at this point. I've got a 20 gallon sump/refugium planned. Hopefully I'll have that added in a few weeks or so. At that point I will feel comfortable enough with water stability to add more sensitive inverts. I will probably remove the dart and mandarin and place them in a much larger tank and just get one more maroon clown. 2 fish should be a fair bioload, especially considering this clown can get rather large, as far as clowns go.

Temperature stays a stead 74F-77F. 3 degree variation doesn't seem too bad.

Any advice on the sump/refugium would be much appreciated, especially the plumbing part. :)

No digital camera yet, and the scanner sucks. However, a digital camera is on the wish-list for Christmas so...

I wish I could get a bigger tank, especially since I'm fairly new, but I have to be able to move without a huge hassle, plus I can't afford a large apartment. The sump/refugium and tank alone are going to be a pain as it is, especially once I start stocking it with inverts.

Archived