Pod Your Reef

Just added some goodies to me tank....

Physh1

No live goodies though....sorry guys.

Since it's near freezing here in Oklahoma I decided I needed a heater for the "just in case the power goes out" times (I have a generator for little things like this!). I also dropped a few bucks on an IceProbe chiller. It's pretty cool and I modded up my Aquaclear filter lid for it and my evaporation makeup system.

Here are a few pics of the IceProbe and the evaporation system. Everything came out pretty well........

http://www.californiareefs.com/tank7reef.htm

7reef09.jpg

7reef10.jpg

7reef11.jpg

Cameron

Looks good Cameron. I've got a 150 DE on my minibow as well plus I'm putting the light right down on the tank! IceProbe wasn't optional...lol Is the little "unit" stuck there on the wall the controller for the chiller? If so, where ya bought it... do they sell the controller separately?

Now that I have it all setup and nearly tuned I'm gonna drop the HQI lower. It got way to hot at 6" but with the chiller now I think I'll be ok.

I bought the IceProbe chiller and the temp controller from Marine Depot. The temp controller was 59 and the IceProbe was 104. I had a credit with them so I didn't really price shop....just bought it. They sell the components seperately.

Cameron

A fellow Oklahoman? Yeah, it's been wicked here. Can't even get out to buy shrimp for my pufferfish (the picky little .... darlings).

I've found that a couple of 100 watt bulbs under a tank (in a pinch, and only on a metal stand lol) will keep the temp at 76.

I'm about to start several new tanks (including my first nano) after many months of dedicated reading, I'd be thrilled to get some input on local shoppes.

Originally posted by ajroahkni

Oh hubba-hubba Physh

nothing like shiny sparkly metal grill things on top of a tank.  I don't know what it is, but I GOTTA get me one.

Hehehe....that's the heatsink for the chiller. It looks kinda strange at first but it works well.

Cameron

damn nice mod there. you have a MH over a... what size tank is that?? crazy :D is that container next to it a sump? looks like it's being fed gravity from somewhere in back, maybe the aquaclear and then pumped back to the aquarium, is that how it works?

Yup, it's a 150 MH on a 7 bow....very bright:D. The container is where my evaporation makeup water is. The hose runs up to a fitting on my Aquaclear filter. There is no sump or filter on the tank. The Aquaclear is used just for circulation and holding the IceProbe, thermostat, and where my evaporation makeup water get replaced.

Cameron

Archived