Top Shelf Aquatics

limpet plague

flaunt

i've got these limpets reproducing like mad now, first i saw one and all of a sudden there are like 6 or more... their shells are white with brown triangular bands going around the outside. any opinions as to whether i should try to cull them or just let them be? they don't seem to be causing any problems (yet), but i did notice one sitting on top of a sponge. i'm not jumping to any conclusions, but i believe i've read that some limpets eat sponges...

ok well i think i found the answer to my question over on reef central in a post by dr ron. i believe the limpets i have are harmless since they do not appear to be keyhole limpets. i'll assume (for now) that the one just happened to come to a rest on a sponge or is eating algae off of it. sorry to spam the board with unnecessary posts, but maybe someone else will find this information useful. :blush:

If you can get me a paicture of the limpet/s one from the top , and if possible one from the bottom (the top is more important) I'll probably be able to look up what sort it is. Also, depending on where your LR is from, that could/will help me figure it out

Originally posted by flaunt

sorry to spam the board with unnecessary posts, but maybe someone else will find this information useful.  :blush:

I'd consider myself spammed if you said these were the most awesome of creatures, does anyone know of them? - if you want info (or to order) please contact flaunt@limpetcity.com :P:D :D

Originally posted by BlackSumbel

If you can get me a paicture of the limpet/s one from the top , and if possible one from the bottom (the top is more important) I'll probably be able to look up what sort it is.  Also, depending on where your LR is from, that could/will help me figure it out

i should be able to do that if i can steal my mother's digital camera for a day or two. i'll try doing that within the next several days or so. thanks for the offer!

Archived