Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with 12G OG sump setup

nanocuber

Sorry to start a new thread on modifying the media in the sump area:blush:. However, I have an OG, and the post I saw was mainly for the DX setup (with three chambers).

I'm trying to figure out the best configuration for my sump. I have bought some Boyd Chemipure, SeaChem Seagel, and SeaChem Purigen. I also plan on buying some cheato (after I install a fuge light), NanoBob's skimmer mod, and a Hydor flow. As of right now I have the following configuration:

Chamber 1: Three sponges

Chamber 2: Ceramic Rings, Purigen, & Bio-Balls

Chamber 3: Sponge & LR

Chamber 4: Heater & Stock Pump

So I plan on changing the "media" to include:

- Sponges? (Maybe one in chanbers 1 & 3)

- Boyd Chemipure

- SeaChem SeaGel

- SeaChem Purigen

- Live Rock

- Chaeto

- LED Fuge Light

- Heater

- Mini-Jet 606

So, my questions are:

1. Is the "8 LED Dome & Utility Lights" from Autoluminations enough light (90,000 mcd) for a chaeto? I like this unit because it is waterproof and all that needs to be done is to plug it in.

2. What configuration would be the best for all of my filter media. I was thinking:

Chamber 1: Chemipure, SeaGel, Purigen, & 1 sponge (not sure of the proper order here)

Chamber 2: LR & Chaeto

Chamber 3: LR, Cheato, & Sponge (on the bottom)

Chamber 4: Heater & MJ606

- OR -

Chamber 1: Sponges

Chamber 2: LR, Chemipure, SeaGel, & Purigen

Chamber 3: LR, Chaeto, & Sponge (on the bottom)

Chamber 4: Heater & MJ606

3. Should I block off any of the "pass-throughs" that are between some of the chambers. I was thinking of having the water flow down chamber one, up chamber 2, down chamber 3, and then into the bottom of chamber 4 to the pump. If I make the fuge in chambers 2 & 3, I'll have to remove the upper part of the partition between 2 & 3 and make the partition between 3 & 4 taller.

If there is anything I'm missing, please let me know!

Archived