Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

elmer's glue ok?

thePenguin

i am building a DIY skimmer similar to one i found on here called the 10 cent skimmer, mine is made of a gatorade bottle, a water bottle, a bubble wand, and some glue. is it ok to use elmers glue underwater? i just want to make sure it wont dissolve into my tank or anything.

Stevey baby, I believe elmers glue becomes one-w/-water when submerged for a length of time.

Maybe aquarium-safe silicon? (the tube will say if it's aquarium safe or not)

Originally posted by glazer

only stopped by to confirm the belief....

Uh, that's a no-go there on the Elmer's

Nice... very nice....

Are you terribly afraid of aquariums safe glues or something?

Oooooooooooooooooh now I get it, DUH , it's build a skimmer out of what you find under the bed and in the desk drawer.... cool!

Well I bet if you go to the back.... the VERY back of the drawer, behind the "one free Coke" bottlecap, the little souveniour spoon with Niagra Falls so delicately ecthed into the bowl, lift up the old Reese's 'buttercup wrapper, the one that has the sweepstakes offer for the skateboard(throw that away dammit, it expired 2 years ago), and move old circuit board out of that cheap-ass old transistor radio you "blew up" with a firecracker out of the way and you should see a mostly used up nasty tube of SUPERGLUE! . Just remember to hold it over the trashcan cuz by the time you wrench the cap off of it yer gonna tear the tube in half... work quickly my son.

if you're a chick you can dig in your nail polish stash and see if you have a tube of nail glue..........but i don't think it will stick to soda bottles

Chicks have the strangest stuff in.. um... purses... yeah....

Super Glue or Silicone, lets face it if you can't afford to spend the $ on some Silicone to build that skimmer you probably can't afford a bag of salt for your nano.

???

I'm working on a skimmer made from a Pringles can, a snorkel, and a hollowed-out avacado. It will be held together with Play-Doh and snot. I'll be sure to post some pics.

Just make sure the snot is water resistant, best to wait until you have a good upper respritory tract infection the green snot holds real good. If you need some my wife has pneumonia Im sure I can ship you a wad.

LOL-if i was home i'd go for the superglue but here in the dorm all ive got are some paperclips, rubberbands, a few peices of speaker wire, and a used up marker. i like that avacado idea, think im gonna make a trip to the grocery store today...but hey on a serious note, do they sell that silicon at LFS's or should i go to the hardware store for that one?

Archived