Pod Your Reef

My original intent was sidelined but still got a PICO going

chipmaker

Had planned on using a 2.5 AGA, but when I stopped by the local LFS yesterday, he made me an offer I could not refuse. I got an all glass Red Sea Wave tank, filter, and 13watt PC 50/50 as well as a 9 watt PC50/50 fixture, and 3/4 watt Lunar light all for under $50.00 Hard price to refuse..........He also said he has one or two of the 3/4 gal Vases that are square somewhere and when he finds them I can have them......Seems no one in this area is into PICO, they all want huge setups, so he has sold very few items in regards to a PICO setup...

Made a plexi cover to fit on the tank, and now its totally covered......Off the back right edge I glued up a standoff that is used to mount the typical clamp on 13 watt lights, and have it so it made the light lower and closer to the cover, and attached the Lunar light to the shade on the PC fixture. Now you can simply remove hood and both lights also come off...Hopefully it will reduce any water evaporation.

Also got some LS and some FiJi LR, which is already thriving with numerous small mushrooms and some other stuff on it....bought a few other neat colored shrooms and polyps and the wife had a good time trying to get them to stay in place...once the filter wa turned on. He threw in a small algae eating snail and thats going to be it for actual critters that can move around the tank..Supposedly we should just be able to do water changes and not have to feed.....I think the wife sat up half the night looking at it watching things come out of the LR..........

As much as the dealer said not to, the wife still wants to add one single Sexy shrimp......so what do you think, add a single sexy shrimp or not? I think the wife is gonna head out and find some omore small pieces to add to thr LR today. Its sort of a prelude to Aug the 8th, when I get my larger SW reef tank, and other goodies she purchased as an aniversary present, so I think this PICO to her is just a get your feet wet type of deal.

neanderthalman

Sexy shrimp are popular in picos, just remember that they need to be fed...and it's easy to overfeed in a pico.

Nothing fancy, but its a start. Sure wish I could figure out how to take a decent pic and get details and colors to show, especially with lunar lighting. Here is two of the best of the pics I have for now....You can barely make out the small star fish on the one at the front edge in the middle..........Just since this pic was taken more little odds and ends have popped up out of the rock.

This tank uses the clip on type light, which IMHO made it too high above the tank, so since I wanted to make a hood / cover I incorporated a bracket off the hood tomount the light lower and place it more to the center directly over the LR etc. The light is a 13 watt 50/50 PC with 3/4 watt Lunar light.

The hood is made out of acrylic shaped to fit the tanks wave shape, out of 1/8" clear acrylic. Directly in front of the light is a piece of dark smoke tinted plexi that runs across the length of the tank, which serves as a glare shield to cut down on any reflected light off the clear plexi cover, but not interfere with any light directed into the tank.It also stiffens up the 1/8" plexi and keeps it from bowing. Without this glare shield with it situated in the bedroom it made a lot of reflection off dresser mirrows etc. The bracket is plexiglass as well and glued to the covers read edge and extends down the back of the tank to which the light is attached. I drilled the shade/reflector on the end of the light and mounted the lunar light off the shade. It gives good coverage and casts some neat shadows in the sandy beachfront.

Here is a closeup view of how I mounted the light on the bracket that is glued to the cover, so I could mount it a bit lower and not on the side of the tank which would interfere with a cover.

We added a frag of pipe organ coral today and two feather dusters (freebies from LFS) and also added a purple shroom and some polyp with brown finges around a bright green eye, and another blue shroom as well......

Archived