Top Shelf Aquatics

Strange...got any ideas?

Chase

Im new to the nano-reef thing so I use the books I have to identify things...but no luck with these two.

There were at the bottom of a small tank at my LFS and they were going to let them die, so I gave them $5 to try and save them.

If anyone could help me identify them, and tell me what I should do to keep the little guys alive, I would really apreciate it!

Misc_117.jpg

Misc_118.jpg

They look like gorgonians to me. I dont know anything about them though so i cant tell you whether they are good or bad shape.

Thanks Pili, its a start, Ill start looking into them. Do you think there both gorgonians? The purple one is much thicker, but only an inch thick.

Hmmmm...

Yep, gorgonians.

The top one looks pretty bad - the thin parts are the skeleton, which means its tissue is receeding. Looks like the same is happening to the bottom one.

Unfortunately, as you say you're new the hobby, I really doubt they're going to survive long in your tank. Good luck, anyway.

Both are gorgonians. The black parts are exposed skeleton, and the white parts are bleached flesh. I'd agree that they most likely won't make it... Just try to get them some good flow. And if you took them out of the bags and exposed them to air, that's two big strikes against them. Sorry...

4 things:

1. I'd cut off the exposed skeleton, but make sure to do it under the water.

2. Some say to seal the cuts with superglue. I've never done it but someone else might chime in on that. (Some also say to seal any weird discolorations or tissue abscesses with glue too...)

3. Make sure they get high flow.

4. The general rule of thumb with gorgons is if they are thick, they tend to be photosynthetic...and tend to be non-photosynthetic if they are thin. Though there are exceptions to this trend, I'd recommend feeding phyto and cyclopeeze.

OK, first wow! I cant get help this fast at my local emergency room!

Also, They did not get into the air. From packing at the LFS to my tank. NO AIR.

Their in high flow. Ill clip the skeleton parts off. They both opened up about an hour after placement.

And if I understand correctly, the white one is not really white, its just bleached?

I also fed some marine snow to them as soon as they opened up. Ill get some DT's tommorrow, since there is quite a diffrence of opinion about which one to use.

I dont have any gel super glue so I will only be able to cut, not glue off the skeleton parts. The purple one only has a very small peice of skeleton exposed. (1/8th inch maybe) Should I atempt to trimm it too?

winniebagel

General rule with gorgonians is that if they have white or brightly colored polyps, you have a non-photosynthetic specimen (the ones containing zooxanthellae will typically have browish polyps). From what it looks like in both pictures, it seems as if both of your newly acquired purchases are non-photosynthetic.

It's a good start in trying to feed them marine snow and dt's. Good luck on both corals.

No, they're both photosynthetic purple ones, "sea whips". They're bleached, meaning their color has faded, because they weren't getting nearly enough light. Don't feel like looking up the info right now, but look up "purple sea whip" or "purple gorgonian" and yu'll find it. I can tell that they're purple with colored--most likely purple--polyps.

winniebagel

Well, I guess there's still some hope for them if they're photosynthetic. Good eye and color on your monitor, Caesar.. ;)

Tee-hee... I can tell by the shape of the gorgs "bodies" and polyps. AND my monitor can pull color from plain ol' black-and-white. Your penguin is a rather garish bright fuchsia, by the way.

:D

So it looks like these are both "photo" guys? Ive attached another pic of the "white one". It was lying down in the tank at the LFS. This is the side that was up. More polops on this side.

Do I need to be feeding them too? Or is the light enough?

If its bleached out, will it get its color back?

Misc_119.jpg

Should try feeding it; it's lost its color because it's expelled the symbiotic algae that it needs to make food from the lighting. It'll gradually regain those cells and the color with them. :)

After looking at the picts, I think that there are two different corals. Both have been referred to as Gorgonian's. I think that the first is a branching gorgonian, and the second is referred to as an encrusting gorgonian. No matter. If they will accept particulate food, try using cyclopeeze. They may or may not be photosymbiotic. Give them a good place in your tank where they receive plenty of light, and plenty of water flow. Gorgonians will 'shed' their outer skin regularly. Keeping up with good husbandry practices is the best you can do!

Best Wishes,

DD

Thanks again for all the help. I think these guys will have a chance.

Heres a couple of pics.

You can see the layout of where they are positioned. The whisper10 has a good current coming down right between them.

Misc_122.jpg

This is just a shot off the tank. I made the hood and stand. Theres 2 13watt 50/50's in there, with a reflector. Seems pretty bright.

Misc_121.jpg

I guess I could have moved the dirty dishes...

In case it wasn't mentioned already, make sure to give them good flow. Gorgs like that.

Yes, they are in a high flow area. The longer gorg's branches are moving in the current.

Also wondering, if the white one is bleached out from lack of light, does anyone want to tmake a guess what color it will be if it survives?

Purple with purple polyps, most likely (I'd say 85%, but that's a random figure, lol!)

Its a purple corky finger. AKA Bryzoan sp.

THE DO RELY ON LIGHT FOR FOOD. You also have to supliment some microfauna for it to feed from the water colony.

Archived