Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

is epoxy adhesive ok?

chodaboy

I'm not familiar with THAT exact epoxy.... two-part epoxies have some pretty nasty stuff in them (look on the backs of the tubes and see if they tell ya...hehe)

I would not put your hood back onto the tank until the epoxy has completely cured... it may "set" in 90 seconds but it ain't done yet. Do they give a time for "cure"? My guess would be somewhere between 24 and 72 hours. If they don't say anything like that, by all means wait till the odor has gone before slappin' it back on the tank.

yeah i was scared for a while about the stench but it's goin away. i think i'll just be patient and wait till manyanna to put it back on. i was sittin on the computer gettin higher than a kite after.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET DATE: 03/07/02

Revision #1 Page 1 of 2

Section 1 For Chemical Emergency Only:

PACER TECHNOLOGY In the US & Canada (800) 424-9300

9420 Santa Anita Avenue Int'l & Wash DC (COLLECT) (202) 483-7616

Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 Telephone for Information: (909) 987-0550

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: HAZARD RATING

90 Second Instant Epoxy - Part A: Resin 1

2 x 0

Section 2 - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS INFORMATION:

Hazardous Components OSHA ACGIH OTHER %

(Common Names, CAS Number) PEL TLV LIMITS OPTION

Epoxy Resins (Trade Secret)

Bisphenol A Diglycidyl Ether (1675-54-3) NE NE NE

Terphenyl, hydrogenated (61788-32-7) 5mg/M3 5mg/M3 NE

Section 3 - PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Boiling Point: NE Specific Gravity (H2O=1): 1.16

Vapor Density (Air=1): NE Melting Point: NE

Vapor Pressure (mm Hg): NE Evaporation Rate (Butyl Acetate = 1): NE

Solubility in Water: Insoluble.

Appearance & Odor: Light yellow colored viscous liquid with moderate odor.

Section 4 - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA:

Flash Point (Method Used): >300 F (PMCC) Flammable Limits: LEL: NE UEL: NE

Extinguishing Media: Carbon dioxide, dry chemical, foam, water.

Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Do not enter confined fire space without full bunker gear (helmet/face shield, bunker coat, gloves & rubber boats). Use positive pressure NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus. Cool fire exposed containers with water.

Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards: Do not breathe fumes. Unidentified fumes & vapors may be toxic.

Section 5 - REACTIVITY DATA:

Stability: Unstable __ Stable XX Conditions to Avoid: Keep away from open flames & high temperatures.

Incompatibility (Materials to Avoid): Strong oxidizing agents, acids and bases.

Hazardous Decomposition Products: Thermal decomposition or burning may release oxides of carbon and other toxic gases or vapors.

Hazardous Polymerization: May Occur __ May Not Occur XX

Section 6 - HEALTH HAZARD DATA:

Route(s) of Entry: Inhalation: YES Skin: YES Ingestion: YES

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET 90 Second Instant Epoxy-Part A: Resin Page 2 of 2

Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic):

Product moderately irritating to eyes, skin; contact with product at elevated temperatures can result in thermal burns; may cause skin sensitization; low order of acute oral toxicity noted; unlikely to be inhalation hazard due to low volatility.

Carcinogenicity: NTP: No IARC Monographs: No OSHA Regulated: No

Signs and Symptoms of Exposure & First Aid Procedures:

Eye contact - irritation: flush eyes with copious amounts of water for 15 min. while holding eyes open. Get medical attention immediately.

Skin contact - irritation/rash: remove contaminated clothing and wash with soap/water. Get medical attention if symptoms persist (contaminated leather articles i.e. shoes should be disposed of as contaminated waste). NOTE: hot product burns require immediate medical attention.

Inhalation - Remove to fresh air and provide oxygen if breathing is difficult. Get medical attention.

Ingestion - Do not induce vomiting. In general, no treatment unless large amount is ingested, however, get medical advice.

Section 7 - PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:

Steps to Be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Use cautious judgment when cleaning up large spills. Prevent contamination of soil, drains and surface waters. Respirator and protective equipment as appropriate. Dike and contain material. Soak up residue with absorbent (clay, sand) materials and dispose of properly.

Waste Disposal Method: Dispose of according to federal, state and local regulations.

Precautions to Be Taken in Handling and Storing: Store in cool, dry place away from open flames and high temperatures.

Other Precautions: Empty containers may contain product residues and should be disposed of properly.

Section 8 - CONTROL MEASURES:

Respiratory Protection (Specify Type): Organic vapor respirator in areas with poor ventilation.

Ventilation: Local Exhaust: Good Mechanical (General): As needed.

Protective Clothing or Equipment: Safety glasses/goggles with side shields, chemically resistant gloves and other protective equipment to avoid direct contact.

Work/Hygienic Practices: Avoid contact with eyes or skin. May cause allergic skin reaction. Use in well ventilated area. Wash hands with soap and water after product use. Launder contaminated clothing before reuse and disposed of leather articles as contaminated waste.

NA = Not applicable

NE = Not established

The data contained herein is based upon information that Pacer Technology believes to be reliable. Users of this product have the responsibility to determine the suitability of use and to adopt all necessary precautions to ensure the safety and protection of property and persons involved in said use. All statements or suggestions are made without warranty, express or implied, regarding accuracy of the information, the hazards connected with the use of the material or the results to be obtained from the use thereof.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET DATE: 03/07/02

Revision #1 Page 1 of 2

Section 1 For Chemical Emergency Only:

PACER TECHNOLOGY In the US & Canada (800) 424-9300

9420 Santa Anita Avenue Int'l & Wash DC (COLLECT) (202) 483-7616

Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 Telephone for Information: (909) 987-0550

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

90 Second Instant Epoxy - Part B: Hardener HAZARD RATING

2 x 0

Section 2 - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS INFORMATION:

Hazardous Components OSHA ACGIH OTHER %

(Common Names, CAS Number) PEL TLV LIMITS OPTION

Proprietary Mercaptan Terminated

Liquid Polymer NE NE

Polyamide/Polymercaptan Epoxy Hardener NE NE

Section 3 - PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Boiling Point: NE Specific Gravity (H2O=1): 1.14

Vapor Density: NE Melting Point: NE

Vapor Pressure: NE Evaporation Rate (Butyl acetate = 1): NE

Solubility in Water: Slight.

Appearance & Odor: Straw colored transparent liquid with mild sulfur odor.

Section 4 - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA:

Flash Point (Method): 212 F (PMCC) Flammable Limits: LEL: NE UEL: NE

Extinguishing Media: Carbon dioxide, dry chemical foam, water.

Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Cool exposed containers with water spray. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus in confined areas.

Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards: Decomposition and combustion products may be toxic..

Section 5 - REACTIVITY DATA:

Stability: Unstable __ Stable XX Conditions to Avoid: Storage near large masses of

epoxy resins, static charges.

Incompatibility (Materials to Avoid): Strong oxidizing agents, acids, metal-organic compounds.

Hazardous Decomposition Products: Thermal decomposition or burning may release oxides of carbon and other toxic gases or vapors.

Hazardous Polymerization: May Occur __ May Not Occur XX

Section 6 - HEALTH HAZARD DATA:

Route(s) of Entry: Inhalation: Yes Skin: Yes Ingestion: Yes

Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic):

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET 90 Second Instant Epoxy-Part B: Hardener Page 2 of 2

Product moderately irritating to eyes, skin; contact with product at elevated temperatures can result in thermal burns; may cause skin sensitization.

Carcinogenicity: NTP: No IARC Monographs: No OSHA Regulated: No

Signs and Symptoms of Exposure & First Aid Procedures:

Eye contact - Irritation: immediately flush eye with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention.

Skin contact - Irritation upon direct contact. Remove contaminated clothing and wash affected areas with soap and water.

Inhalation - Remove to fresh air. If breathing is difficult or if symptoms persist, get medical attention.

Ingestion - Do not induce vomiting. Keep airway clear if vomiting occurs. Seek medical attention promptly.

Section 7 - PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:

Steps to Be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Avoid direct contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Stop leaks & contain spill. Soak up with absorbent material for disposal in proper container, wearing adequate protective clothing/respiratory protection.

Waste Disposal Method: Dispose of in accordance with federal, state or local regulations.

Precautions to Be Taken in Handling and Storing: Do not store near epoxy resin, protect containers to avoid leaks and spills.

Other Precautions: CAUTION - May cause irritation. Avoid direct contact or breathing of mist or vapor. Use with adequate ventilation and use respiratory protection where mist or vapor may be generated. Keep containers closed when not in use. Wash hands and skin thoroughly after handling.

Section 8 - CONTROL MEASURES:

Respiratory Protection (Specify Type): Organic vapor respirator to avoid inhalation of mist or vapor in poorly ventilated areas.

Ventilation: Local Exhaust: Good Mechanical (General): As needed.

Protective Clothing or Equipment: Safety glasses/goggles with side shields, rubber gloves, chemical resistant shoes and protective clothing to avoid direct contact.

Work/Hygienic Practices: Avoid prolonged or repeated direct contact or breathing of mist or vapor. May cause allergic skin reaction. Use with adequate ventilation. Wash hands with soap and water after use. Launder contaminated clothing before reuse.

NE = Not established

The data contained herein is based upon information that Pacer Technology believes to be reliable. Users of this product have the responsibility to determine the suitability of use and to adopt all necessary precautions to ensure the safety and protection of property and persons involved in said use. All statements or suggestions are made without warranty, express or implied, regarding accuracy of the information, the hazards connected with the use of the material or the results to be obtained from the use thereof.

this is the ingedients hazerdous table gottin' from the website. They say that part b is a little soluble in water (outlined in orange)and is a little harmful, it's says that smells like SULFER the ###### that makes it smell like ass, (but it's not actually in it) here i was getting high off ass. It says somethin about the evaporation rate but im not a chemistry major. The other stuff is insoluble. Anyways, what you think? Did i jack this one up, dunno what to do? I emailed there sales personal, don't know if thats any good. a little soluble on a nano could be really harmful, F($% what the hell am i gonna do if i have to take it off? For some reason i thought that hardening materials (epoxies, resines, plastic materials) are suppose to be insoluble expecially in water, i thought that any epoxy glue type would be good. F($% ME!!

choda,

After 25 years in the finishing business I could show you HAZMAT data on the stuff I have used and you would seriously wonder WHY I am still alive... all I gotta say is if I lived in California I would be a walking tumor. (private joke in the biz, everything in Cali causes cancer).

Anyway.... not to worry. Your data sheets are for the components of the epoxy in their original form, once the two are combined and cured it becomes another substance all together. Most of the ingredients listed in both parts are evaporative solvents and thinners. They go away.... your epoxy for the most part is water-proof. There may be some slight degradation if the cured form was submerged in water 24/7 but I'm guessing we will all be dust by the time that happens.

Sooooooo, relax, enjoy and sally forth to huff another day.

Archived