Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maracyn

Clarkie

Fish only or reef?

Buffer the water regularly to keep the pH up as well as the alkalinity. Use a calcium supplement to promote beneficial algae growth.

Cycano is usually just a phase. Not worth dosing an entire tank to 'cure'.

GL

I definitely agree with six. Also, limit nutrients--most people overfeed their fish, and/or dose unnecessary chemicals.

My water is good, and I only dose coral-vite. Coral-vite dose I use is only half the recomended amount. I have a 55gal. The cyano isnt out of control. It was spreading fast, so I didnt some reading. Alot of people on this site said they have used maracyn to get rid of it, and had no ill effect. After much self debate I used about half dose, and now it really slowed down the grouth, but hasnt stoped it??? by the way all my corals are still happy(i have only softies, with the exeption on some candy cane

CoralVite can be thought of as "cyano food" or "Algae food".

What kind of corals are you 'feeding' it to?

Particular animals need particular sized foods, and a bottled supplement like that usually isn't something that keeps it stated size due to settling and being on the shelf.

I'd ditch any 'food' that sits on the shelf and not in the fridge, personally. Use live foods like DT's Phytoplankton or Cyclopeeze to feed your coral. You'll see a difference.

GL

Yes, I reiterate my point about the coral-vite. All it does is fuel ALGAE and CYANO growth; it's useless for the corals, and great for helping nuisance algaes thrive. The corals eat plankton, specifically; they don't just pull specific vitamins from the water. The light above your tank and the dissolved waste in the water column provide more than enough nutrients for your softies.

Again, the Maracyn only clears up "most" of what you have; it won't solve the problem. As long as your tank has too many nutrients, the cyano (and other pest algaes, for that matter) will keep coming back. It's like leaving your cat's food out on the porch, (coral-cite) which attracts pests like opossums (cyano & algae), and just chasing them away when you see them (antibiotics). They'll still keep coming back to eat the food you leave out (coral-vite). See the analogy?

Well......I dosed with E-M. Had excellent results. Mine was out of control..corals regressing....no response to water changes, flow direction, siphoning/basting, etc. Would do it again. No invert/livestock loss. No loss of biological filter. Most importantly, no recurrence. SH

Yup. It's definitely the key IF the other stuff won't work. BUT many people dose things with no thought of the risks/damage that may be involved, AND they forget the root causes.

I agree with Caesar...as I posted elsewhere, NOT DOSING and using good water husbandry is the way to go. If all else fails, you must make an educated decision on whether to treat the tank based on research and be prepared and knowledgable on how to deal with a crashing tank if that occurs. SH

Is "E-M" Erythromycin?

Urg, lets not start shortening names of medicine. It's already confusing enough! LOL.

Plus do you have a skimmer running? Those are awesome at pulling out nutrients. If you don't have one running, well, yeah, that's not going to help your problem.

My 10 has a cyanobacteria outbreak and its becasue i havent done water changes and i feed like crazy. But I'm too lazy to fix it right now... hehehehe...

Archived