Cultivated Reef

Razor Goby

BCOrchidGuy

I posted this on the beginner list but I really do want some input.

Anyone have any experience with these in a reef? I know it wont be suitable for a nano but my 72 should be roomy enough for them. The LFS has a bunch that are about 5 inches long.

Dave.. yep I did a search on here and got nadda, did a google search too and didn't find anything useful.

"Razor" goby? Uh, need the species name, first....or at least enough of a description so that a trip thru the Scott Michael's book might turn something up.

Thanks cjm I actually did find that but it doesn't tell me much, it says harmless but I want to know if that is for other fish or for inverts etc. Are they schooling or should they be solitary, LFS says they can be difficult to feed, best food for them???

That kind of stuff... but especially I want to know first hand experience if I can find it.

i do remeber when i was reding stuff on sum searches for u that it said to keep them in small groups of 3-5 good luck,Chris

ps you could also check your library or go to amazon.com and check their search for books with the goby in it

Been to the library, and we have a great library I'm always amazed at how diverse it is. I still didn't find much on it, the LFS has a ton of good books and the manager and I looked through but still not a lot of information, he says they don't often get them in and when they do they are seldom as large as these ones. I think I will get 2 or 3 next week and see how it goes.

Get Scott Michael's Marine Fishes (subtitled "500+ Essential-to-know Aquarium Species"):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

It lists max. length, min. tank size, food, aquarium suitability, reef-safeness, and care notes for each species.

Page 362 for this one.

Aquarium suitability index: 2 (out of 5, so not recommended)

"prefers dim lighting"...and a planktivore, so no skimmer.

I am so fascinated with fish I am starting to thing I may do the 72 as a fish only tank and maybe set up my 77 in my orchid room under my 400 watt MH, and keep the 20 as a nano. That way I can enjoy Clown Triggers etc and use the 77 as a reef tank. I figure 400watt MH and 110 watts of VHO actinic and 110 watts of of VHO 10,000k should be suitable to grow most anything.... oh the possibilities.... I still need to figure out what to do with the 45.

Archived